Strange eye

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by mawalla, Mar 27, 2006.

1. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

One of my ewes had a set of twins Friday afternoon while we were out of town for the weekend. The neighbor who was watching the place said all went well. I didn't expect any problems as this is the 8th time this old girl has lambed and has never had a problem. Of course I checked the lambs when I got home Sunday night and they were healthy and bouncing around as lambs should. Upon closer inspection, today in the daylight, I noticed that the little ram lamb has one eye that's iris is blue! It's not cloudy as an infection would be, it is just a mottled blue. Kinda looks like an Austrailian Shephard's eye.

Has anyone else ever had a blue eyed sheep?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Not here and I would still try to treat it as an infection with tetracycline myself.

3. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Never saw that before. :shrug:
    How about a picture?

veme

4. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

Oh my babies always have blue eyes when they are born, so pretty. But they turn bron whn they get older though. I know an adult ram that has blue eyes. Did you use a different ram this year?

5. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

The ewe is a Polypay and these are the 16th and 17th lambs she has had and never a blue eye before. The ram is a St. Croix/Dorset cross. He is a yearling out of my St. Croix ewe and this is his first crop of lambs. There are 15 lambs on the ground so far and no other blue eyes. This ewe's daughter had triplets and no blue eyes there either. In my 10 years of raising sheep this is my 1st blue eyed baby.

About 7 years ago I had several get a chlymidial infection in their eyes that caused cloudiness but, after succsessfully treating all that were effected, I've never experienced it again. I've also had one lamb injure an eye, which she eventually lost. This is totally different. It seems to be perfect in all ways except the iris is a mottled blue. The lens is clear, the pupil shows no sign of any cloudiness and the little bugger can see fine. It just looks odd.

I'm going to have my bosses take a peek at it and see what they think.

What type of sheep do you have, Celtic?

6. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

I have Suffolks and one cross bred which I think still hass a suffolk base, and most of the sheep suffolk sheep around here are born with blue eyes. Mottled like you said, resembling an Aussies. I would definatly confirm that it wasn't an ailment, but it doesn't sound like it is. If the lens isn't cloudy, and everything else looks fine then you could just have a pretty little blue eyed lamb. I would imagine that they both have a recessive gene, if that is what causes it.

7. backachersfarm

backachersfarm Well-Known Member

Look at the eye again and make sure the bottom lid isn't curled in just a bit. This is a genetic problem that can be fixed..but will blind the animal if it isn't.

Sharon

8. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

dont know about sheep but i know blue eyes can show up both in Dogs goats and horses (in that order for rareity)
    it sure is creepy to go to someones house and meet their dog and see that it has one or both eyes blue, at least it always creeps me out lol
    there was a guy back home in kansas that would buy any blue eyed goat he came accrost, blue eyes are not allowed in the standard of any goat that "I" know of so he felt like he had a rare gold mine, no one fought him for them eather lol but they could see and get around just fine, nothing wrong with them but the color