Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I had to buy a new appliance and Lowes was the cheapest price I could find. So after purchasing it and having "free delivery" and taking away of the old appliance I was happy as a clam - however happy that is. :facepalm:

Anyway as I was leaving I saw another item I was in the market for and lo & behold it was on sale so I bought it also. Cost little over a grand.

Strange part you ask?
There was a $69 delivery fee for the more expensive item if'n I wanted them to deliver it. I made mention they were already coming to my house to deliver item number one so it wasn't like they were making a special trip or anything........
Nope didn't matter if'n I wanted it delivered - 69 bucks. Reason "Lowes policy" even according to the manager who stated that that was the way it was.

So in the end I drove home got the vehicle with towing capabilities that we have (bout a 35 mile round trip) and went back to get the item with the $69 delivery charge and brought it home. Monday the cheaper item was delivered, installed, and the old one carted away - for free........

Just don't figure?

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Lesson learned so I guess nothing is free delivery unless it's advertised that way? In the remodel our contractor used Lowes for most of his purchases and therefore we ended up with many Lowes products in this house. Knock on wood and so far most everything is doing ok but he did his own delivery for most everything. We did buy a freezer on special with free delivery but that wasn't on his business account.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
We are getting ready to order a new clothes dryer from Home Depot who offers the same free delivery, free hook up, free removal policy.

Only we currently do not have a clothes dryer.

We do not have one to remove.

We only have half the hook up ready.

Free delivery would be nice but DH jokingly asked if they do deliver it and we do not have one to remove, what can we get them to tote away for us as junk...maybe we could come up with something and maybe they would finish running the wiring for him if they are doing the hook up for free.

Nah, probably not. Better off just throwing the box in the back of the van and doing it ourselves. Life is full of hassles. If you can avoid one, maybe you should.

One good thing I will say about HD is that they will work with you to get a sale. We recently had to replace a garage door on a house we are trying to sell.. We printed off a Menards ad for a garage door at 349$ and took it into Home Depot. When we showed it to the clerk and explained that we didn't want to drive for two hours to get to the nearest Menards when we could drive 15 minutes to get to Home Depot. Could they match or come close to the sale price for Menards? The clerk looked his inventory up, admitted that he couldn't at that moment but asked us to hive him 72 hours and he would call us. Sure enough, 72 hours later he called. He had found us a garage door with only a 8-10 dollar price difference. We ordered it, ten days later we picked it up.

I have heard others say that HD will bend over backwards for a sale and they will. If you have one in your neighborhood and need a big ticket item, try them. Just make sure you go in with proof of their competitors prices.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
So based on the IRS standard mileage allowance rate for 'business' use,
you saved about $49.70, but of course your 'time' involved, can't be
given anything for the half hour plus that the trip(s) entailed.

Of course, I probably would have done the same thing as well.....

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
I bought a freezer at Lowes which is 16 miles from my home. First I found the one I liked at a HH Gregg store further away but for a lot less money. When we went to Lowes we still had the sale flier from the other store. At least here in KY if you find the exact item elsewhere Lowes will sell you their item for 10% less...and I got free delivery. It took forever to ring up....because apparently they have not had to honor that policy too many times before. But the 10% more than covered the extended warranty I got. (No, I usually don't like to buy the extended warranties .) Then 2 - 2 1/2 years later my freezer malfunctioned and I lost a freezer full of food! because of the extended warranty the freezer was repaired and (since I read the terms very carefully) I was refunded $200.00+ for the lost food : )

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Ok yes they will take Old Appliances for Free, but if there is a place buying Scrap Metal, they will pay pretty good money for Old Appliances.

big rockpile

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Saltine American
6,580 Posts
Ok yes they will take Old Appliances for Free, but if there is a place buying Scrap Metal, they will pay pretty good money for Old Appliances.

big rockpile
I put an old non working fridge on craig's list for free. My first call was in a matter of minutes and agreed to pick it up. There were dozens of calls in less than an hour and the guy that got it was a salvager and drove about 40 miles one way to get it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
With the appliance purchases from Lowes and most other big box stores, the store does not make the delivery and hookup. They are private contractors that have the job for that store.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
I guess it all depends on the store. Our closest Lowes is a 45 mile drive one way.

Thursday we bought a new refrigerator from Lowes and on the same day we special ordered some other, bulky stuff, that we would have to go back with the trailer to pick up. I asked for the refrigerator to be delivered yesterday and was expecting the bulky items to arrive by 10/2.

Got an automated call yesterday morning that the other items had arrived at the store. I called the store to make sure it was there (last time it took a few weeks, this was just a few days) and asked them if they could stick it on the truck with our refrigerator since they would be coming here anyway, without a delivery charge. Unfortunately, we are next to last on their delivery route and they didn't have room for our bulky special order.

That was yesterday. This morning at 7:30 I get a call from Lowes wanting to know if I was going to be home for them to deliver our special order. I told her I didn't have delivery included in the order and she said that was OK. They were sorry they couldn't bring it yesterday and wanted to bring it today. Two hours later I was moving it into the building.

The people that brought our refrigerator and freezer and washer, all purchased at Lowes, installed and hooked everything up for us and even tested the washer to make sure it worked properly before they left. They were Lowes employees, not contractors, so maybe location makes a difference there, too.

We don't shop anywhere else for appliances or home improvement items unless we have no other choice.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I really like Lowes for appliances too. I bought a washer/dryer set on sale for $349.99 and $300.00 and they took a 10% coupon for them and delivered/installed them for free. I also bought an $850 HUGE chest freezer from them on sale for 20% off and they took a coupon. It got damaged in the shipping process (superficial, but still a dent in the bottom right front corner). The shipping guys let me talk to some sort of negotiator on the phone and they gave me an additional 25% off the purchase due to the superficial damage because they didn't want to cart it back to the store and try to sell it there.

Found a better price on my fridge at Sears, but I would have bought from Lowes in a heartbeat if they had what I was looking for.

·
Registered
259 Posts
With the appliance purchases from Lowes and most other big box stores, the store does not make the delivery and hookup. They are private contractors that have the job for that store.
Wanda is right must store will get a contractor to do it for you it might looks like lows could drop 2 items, for lees they had to pay to get two items to get dropped a your place

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
big rockpile
Yeah, you are worried about the free delivery and you want rid of the old one, but you are giving the store something that you could probably get $25.00 for at the scrap yard.

A better deal would be to have the store remove the old one from your house and put it in the bed of your pickup. Once the delivery guys are gone, grab whatever else scrap metal you have, throw it in the bed of the pickup and take a drive to the scrap yard to get some cash.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

big rockpile
A few years ago when HD delivered a washer and took the old one the local collage got the appliances from HD for their students to repair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts