strange email

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tonasket, Aug 10, 2005.

1. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

just looked at my email and there was one from a producer (so they said) of the show super nanny, who's gonna start a new series about families homesteading, wanting to talk to me further about possibly particiapting, said they saw my post on this website, has anyone else received this email? sounded interesting though.

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I didn't get one but if it's true then that's pretty cool!!

Just think you could change the image of homesteading across the country!! :cowboy:

Good Luck

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

:confused: You mean we're not all barefoot, shaggy-haired, ill-mannered hillbillies with bad teeth?

4. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself!

[​IMG]

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hey I've got good teeth! I haven't heard we're "endorsing" anything like that but so long as they're not asking for money I'd be tempted to see what they wanted! Please let us know, just for fun!

6. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

If it's Super Nanny, are they implying your kids are hellions?

7. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Bink, bink, bink; it's from the same people who produce Super Nanny!! Gotta keep up girl!! :p :dance:

8. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Maybe they are hoping we are! Mabye they have plans for a sort of JerrySpringer/Homesteader/Supernanny show....

or

Maybe they think that there is some homeschooler "secret" to brilliant children, and homesteaders have it! Good job tonasket!

9. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Beware.....

Most e-mail of this sort is virus-rich spam. How did they get your e-mail.

E-mail from this site would be forwarded from HT, not sent directly to you?

Rick

10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I'd be warry no matter what. I'd not reply and then do a virus scan. Shows like that only are looking to dig up dirt and make the people it's about look bad (show's them in the neg. light) and then glorify the show by "correcting" the persons "errors". reese

11. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

I installed the phone system for the Supernanny show. What was the name of the person that sent the e-mail. They have since moved out of our building but I still have the list of names. I could tell you if they ever had a phone.
    George

12. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I got one of those too, based on my paritcipation on another forum (not Homesteading Today). The reason they emailed me is because we just moved from the city to begin our dream of homesteading. The email says:

We're now making a major new documentary series for Discovery, which is aiming to show the realities of taking on a new life in the wilderness. It's tapping into the escapism we all feel when we look out of our office window - could I lead a fully self-sufficient life in the country? - and then filming with people who are being courageous enough to make that move, and do it for real. It's all about the improved quality of life, and the challenges we must go through to achieve that.

13. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Years ago, probably while we were still on Greenspun actually, I got a letter from a guy from "Discovery" channel about chickens. I wrote a thoughtful reply along with a listing of resources. He thanked me and that was the last I heard from him. Never saw the show if it aired as I don't get cable.

14. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting. I got a call from the Judge Mathis show. I have a case pending against a neighbor whose dog attacked my cat and now the cat needs about $2500.00 worth of surgery so she can walk again. I have to send the a picture today as a matter of fact. I'd love to be on this show, if they are looking for others. :)

15. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

turtlehead, that's the exact email i got, i deleted it after talking to my husband, we are moving there to have peace and quiet(except for all the critters) not to have a camera in our faces IF it was legitimate in the 1st place, i'm sure we made the right decision, was kind of fun thinking about it for a minute though, us on t.v. i don't think the world is ready for that.

16. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Also, while promoting a homesteading lifestyle might be worthwhile a show like this would be manipulated through editing to show homesteading in the light that the producers want portrayed. If they want you to appear to be uneducated, backwoods hillbillies then you can bet that through the editing process they'll twist your words/actions/etc. to present you as a uneducated, backwoods hillbilly. 'Normal' or 'pleasant' doesn't get ratings so you can bet that something sensational will be created in one way or another. JMOFWIW.

17. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see a REAL reality show. But you know that will never happen. I would like to see what it is really like to be totally self sufficient. What is given up and what is considered a necessity. What problems arise, and what is more difficult because of this.

BUT we all know this will never happen! It has to be funny or dramatic to get people to watch. They will edit so much out that it would seem either to easy or to pleasant, OR it would be made to look too hard or backwoods.

The truth of the matter is, it is hard work for me to do the little that I do here. We have a good well and electric and the only food things I raise are eggs and vegetables. My goats and potbelly pig are just pets. My dogs and cats serve a purpose but i would have them anyway.

18. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

19. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

just got a PM from the same guy this morning....
    -f.g.

20. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

I'm afraid I'd get voted off the homestead!!!!
    I hate all those "reality" shows. When was the last time you were trying to survive and had to stop and vote?