strange cheek thing with buck

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Jan 18, 2007.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Our buck(who some may remember as the "rescue" that I've thought was near death more then once) seems to have a fat cheek. I noticed it yesterday. I thought" My, what a large amount of cud he has!" I think it is something else though..
    When I noticed it yesterday...his chin was soking wet, too. I though he must have just gotten a drink. I noticed the same thing this morning..and then this evening. This evening I watched him for awhile. I'm thinking the wetness is drool...the right side(where it looks big) seems slobbery to me. THEN His tongue was hanging out of his mouth on that side. This is not normal for him! THEN a peice of what appeared to be cud fell out of that side of his mouth. It's like he can't feel it....
    The weird thing is that he has been SO much better! He is active and eats great. When we got him he was on the brink of starvation, dehydration, horrible foot rot, and bad UC.
    Any thoughts? I am stumped.

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Check to see if he has something caught in his mouth. It may take two people, and be careful, it HURTS if they bite you with their back teeth. Sometimes they get a glob of cud stuck in their cheek, or a piece of bark, or whatever they like to pick up off the ground.

3. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Thanks. We will try tomorrow when dh is here.... That is so strange:)

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Listen to Doc about those back teeth - my friend had her finger bitten to the bone - those back teeth are sharp! Be careful, and good luck finding the source of the problem!

Niki

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We've had a doe that got a wood splinter inside of her mouth and it was swollen up like she was holding her cud in there. Eventually, the splinter worked it's way to the outside. She lost hair on that spot and a sterile abcess developed and burst. It healed over and there isn't a scar.

He might also have an infected tooth.

6. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Several years back we had a buck do the same thing. Side of his mouth swelled up and drooled alot. Took him to the vet and he said it was something stuck in his inner mouth and was infected. He lanced it ,did a culture to be sure ,then put him on antibotics for a week. We have never had any more problems with this buck after that. Might think about having the vet look at him, infections can kill very quickly if left untreated.

jr05