Strange but True!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mpillow, May 26, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Back on Apr.21 my Toggy/Alpine Nanny kidded with 2 bucklings, I thought were premies due to size but they did well anyway....she freshened without milk so I bottle fed the kids for 8 days and then traded the 2 for a weaned buckling to a local farmer (cows etc).

Today the babies are 6 weeks old and guess what !!!! Nanny came into milk. She is 10 or 11 yo too.

She had a bad case of worms which we have fixed and built her back up with pig paste and this is completly without supplimenting oxytocin.

Not sure how much we will get...2c last night and just a bit this am but I am going to continue to stimulate for production and see where things go.

Strange huh?

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

not really, she was very run down, continue to build her up, give a good goat chow to her, and good hay , alfhalfha is the best, I feed only 3d or 4th cutting to mine. and if you start milking her 4 times a day, for one week, her milk will pick right up. I would nurti drench her daily, give goat menerials, and porbious, for one week, just to keep her rummin up to par, and she will milk fine , just watch and see. you should also probaly worm her agian, in about one month, just to be sure, then once every three months.

3. mpillow

She was wormed 3 times in one month and given pig paste once a day. for 2 weeks. Safeguard then 2 doses Ivermec horse stuff 1.87% at 2x her wt. every 10 days.
    She has gained back all her wt and she is producing a little more at each milking and quite happy to be trading grain for milk again. It is nutrena goat feed cut half with 16% animal feed. Our hay is some of the best in the state...mostly Timothy though. She is getting good green pasture....when its not pouring down rain...15 days straight now :grump:
    My barn kitty is very happy Brownie has come into milk ;)

4. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

someone correct me if im wrong but i thought you werent sposed to worm more than once a month because it could damage the kidneys.

5. mpillow

I did just as the vet prescribed....worked like a charm...I had a fecal done that showed huge worm loads...and another to show that it was corrected. And milk to BOOT.

6. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

If the worm overload was that bad it would be worse not to worm her that much. Safeguard is a really safe wormer and so is ivomec. It wouldn't hurt a doe in her condition.