Strange bump in the night

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by torade, Aug 10, 2004.

1. torade

torade Well-Known Member

The other night, in my bedroom, I heard an electric pop, know what I mean?
    Like those jacob ladder things...zzzzzzzzzzz POP! Very loud and clear.
    I was laying on my stomach with my eyes closed so when I turned around real fast I didn't see any sparks.
    I got up and looked around everywhere, no storms outside.
    What the heck was it??

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Could have been a crawling insect in a wall outlet crossing the two wire connections, they do not work well as fuses.

3. torade

torade Well-Known Member

Ohhh, good thinkin. yah that's prolly what it was.
    phew, and I thought it was a ghost trying to contact me. I just moved here ya know, and all the noises take gettin use to.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Your water heater Farted. Seriously, if you have A WH close by it will moan and groan because sediment will buildup in the bottom with age and when water is coming in or out you have fairly rapid changes in Temp. and sometimes they will make noise........fordy.... :eek: :)

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha:
    BooBoo

6. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

I would call the electric man or woman today but, if you wake up dead tomorrow from fire in the house you'll know what it was. Seems like a no brainer.

7. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

srslade you should learn how to be less sarcastic, seems like a no brainer to me!

8. torade

torade Well-Known Member

I do my OWN electric work, thanks sis

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I think I'd be tempted to throw off some breakers and pull the outlet and fixture covers off to look for a loose wire, if your competant at it. In less than an hour you'll know your new house a bit better. You don't have aluminum wire do you?

10. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Thank you KATHY but, i was serious not sarcastic.

11. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

I was noticing, torade, that you have as your location "Iron Range." Being from way-down-south Louisiana, I was curious and did a little investigation.

To make a long story short, I learned a little and also discovered this really interesting site. Some of you people from Michigan/Wisconsin might particularly enjoy this URL:

http://www.mattsonworks.com

Lots of info, both historical and detailed genealogical; lots of photos.

O.K. Please accept my apologies for disrupting the discussion.

Peace and smiles,
    doohap

12. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I lived in an old house once for three years and often would wake up to the same sound. Only heard it in the master bedroom and woke up to it fairly often at about the same time of night each time.

That was an unhappy house and I was glad to move out.

The original owners died in the house and their 3 children never married and also died there. One of the sons was an alcoholic and was required to sleep in a garden shed.

We were the third owners after the original family.

13. you guys are all wrong. That is diffently an angry soul returning to right some wrongs from the past. Do you know the history of the house or the land that it was built on? I would not be alone in that house tonight with performing a smug. Good luck , glad I not you.

14. torade

torade Well-Known Member

I checked everything, everything looks fine. Lil old but fine. I wouldn't mind if the place did catch fire as long as we got out. BIG insurance claim. Could build 3x the house this is. Would have to live in the sauna house tho. ick.
    Something else that happend after the sound tho. I heard something moving in the crawl space. See, there's this small door in the bedroom with a large space behind it. It's pretty cool, the previous owners grandkids used it as a playroom.
    Maybe I'll sleep in there one night.

15. torade

torade Well-Known Member

What's a smug?

doohap; thanks for the link. I'm a new iron ranger and 2nd gen.midwestener. Befor that my peoples came from the deep south and the north east.

Update: the small door in my bedroom has been opening up by itself every night.

16. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

I think unregistered may have meant "smudge," such as a sage smudge stick. This is a tightly bound bunch of sage that is smokes as it burns and is used for purification of dwellings, etc.

doohap

17. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) This thread is getting less and less serious and I am with srslade...I think this shouldn't be taken lightly. I don't know if I my input will help or not, but...the place I own is about 30 years old. Bought it in '92. Had some "electrical popping" going off at night in the bedroom also...I think it's sorta like hearing a rattlesnake..you know what it is..even if you've never heard it before. The main fuse box(I hope that is what you call it) is right there in the bedroom.

Called out an electrician friend and he replaced the whole box along with tracing the wiring here and there. The wiring was so old it was just falling apart and "arcing"(?). I think over the years we have added a whole bunch of stuff too, that this old wiring never had to support before. Air Conditoning, TV'S,, DVD's, Wash Machines, Computer Stations, Modern Lighting and more of it, Dryers, Sewing Machines, Automatic Coffee Makers...you name it! LOL This is probably a common occurance in these old places that we start adding all of this modern equipment to.

I sleep a whole lot better now that that stuff has been checked out and worn stuff replaced. I would suggest that you have your wiring and fuse boxes checked out too. ;)

LQ

18. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you set a live trap and catch the coons out of that wall door space it should be quieter and even smell better. Put powder in front of that door and see what kind of foot prints you find in the morning.
    Do spooks leave foot prints??

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT !!

19. torade

torade Well-Known Member

The main fuse in in the basement and it's brand new. The wires look fine, but I'm getting an expert for that and other reasons.
    Thanks for the encouragement :D

The room back there is clean and nicely sealed up so I doubt any animiskills are getting in. Sides there's too meny dogs patroling the area.
    Hey, I have a "ghost" story about a haunted house I lived in as a kid in the state of Maine.
    I remember small stuff -this story I don't but was told to me by my mom.
    One night I had gotten into bed with my parents and snuggled in between em. My mother woke up in the middle of the night and saw a dark shadow come in the door and glide over to her. It bent over her and started to stuff hair in her face and into her mouth. She was trying to scream but she couldn't. She kept thinking why doesnt (dad) wake up and help me? All the sudden I jumps up, grabs it and takes a bite. It jerked backs back and then quickly retreats while shrinking away. Ma said it made a wierd shreak/scream as it did so. She says how impressed she was that her little girl saved her from "it".

20. Don't you read Harry Potter? Someone apparated!