Homesteading Forum banner

strange bite or sting on my arms??

929 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  SteveD(TX) 
#1 ·
This evening I worked in the garden, pulling corn, picking tomatoes, okra and I pulled two watermelons. I wear leather gloves that come up above my wrists. I shucked the corn and put the okra in the freezer, went to get a shower and noticed I have two 'bites'-one on each wrist! The one on my left hand is the size of a dime (an almost prefect circle)there is a small raised area about the size of an okra seed cut in half, then a light pink color with in a darker outer ring. It does not hurt, burn or itch! The right arm is much smaller but is the same type of bite--still no hurt/burn/itch.. I thought it might be a 'spine' from the okra stuck in my arm. I haven't really messed with them. I washed them and put antibodi cream on them.. Anyone ever have something like this. It is strange there is no itching, burning, hurting. Queen Bee

#4 ·
Our okra has a HUGE spider living it - I try to avoid him. I figure he's helping me out. I can see his web, and occasionally have to mess it up a little to get to an okra or two, but I cant see the spider itself.

He makes a funnel almost, and gets way down in it? Anyone know what kind of spider makes a funnel web? Something deadly poisonous no doubt. :rolleyes: :p

Those darn okra spines sure do make me itch!

#6 ·
Well... that sure looks a lot like his web - one time I saw him a little before he moved down deeper in to the funnel and he looked bigger and a darker brown than the spider in the first pic. But, I bet that is what he is.
Thanks!

How's your welts QB?

#7 ·
The both spots are larger, more itchy, more red and more irregular that last night. It so strange --If I place my hands and wrists together the bites are in the exact same spot on each arm! I thought, I had every kind of insect/bug bite there was. I usually don't react too much to stings and bites--even my honeybee stings are minimal in size and never hurt only itch a tiny bit! The actually 'bite' site is more raised and looks sorta like a fire ant bite but the other effected area looks nothing like it.. :shrug: Still watching it and trying not to scratch.

#8 ·
Do deer have access to your garden or yard. Do you live anywhere around wooded areas or have you seen any wood ticks around? Is there a little dark speck in the center? If so, go get them checked out. I do not know where you live but here (upstate NY) we have problems wiith lime disease from deer ticks. We use an insect repellant that guards against these ticks. My only problem in the garden is those nasty black flies and they hurt when they bite.

#10 ·
I don't know about Okra, but the worst casualty I had was working around with rose bushes and got a thorn jabbed into a finger joint. It swelled and hurt like the devil and got so bad I couldn't move that finger at all, and had to have it treated with a visit to the doctor eventually which sounds crazy, but true. :eek:

If I get some irritation on the skin nowdays from a bug bite or some plant making me very itchy (such as nettles), I rub some tea tree oil on it to sooth and it helps to heal also. But, I don't know if that will work in your case.

#11 ·
Ark said:
Our okra has a HUGE spider living it - I try to avoid him. I figure he's helping me out. I can see his web, and occasionally have to mess it up a little to get to an okra or two, but I cant see the spider itself.

He makes a funnel almost, and gets way down in it? Anyone know what kind of spider makes a funnel web? Something deadly poisonous no doubt. :rolleyes: :p

Those darn okra spines sure do make me itch!
We are plagued by those dang funnel web spiders at our place. They especially love to build in our barn and well house. I probably knocked down 15 or 20 nests yesterday, after spraying them first with wasp spray (killed about the same number of wasp nests in my well house alone).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.