Strange asphalt shingles

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Bruce in NE, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I have a quantity of these asphault shingles I got at an auction and must confess I don't have a clue how they go together. Do you???

Thanks

bruce

[​IMG]

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't tell you how they go together, but I can sure tell you how aweful they are to pick up over several years as they blow off the barn. In every little wind.....

That product is about the most cussing I ever heard out of dad. Never again with those locking tab shingles. Never again.....

--->Paul

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had the same pattern on my house since 1988. Not one has blown up or off.

The white tab is the lower end. Place a few with the gray strips butted up to each other end to end. Now take another shingle and hook the ears under the little slits in the pair of shingles below it. You have to cut the first row on the eaves off where they get narrow. Remember gray goes towards the peak and the white end goes toward the eaves.
    Lay a few out on the ground and practice.

Put a roofing nail beside each slit where it will be covered by the next shingle.

4. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

classic T-lock shingles
    not to bad to lay the little up turned hook goes in the groove they half lap each other .
    If you get off on running them they are a pan to straighten out though

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

As soon as one blows off, they _all_ do fairly quickly. That's their problem...... They rely upon each other to hold down.

It was aweful. We found shingles across the pasture - 400 feet - away from the barn. Repeatedly.

Our experience anyhow.

They doo look pretty neat tho, and used to be popular - or more so anyhow.

--->Paul

6. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

thanks uncle will, i think I grasp that technique okay...

b

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Bruce, mine were put on over plywood sheeting. When you put two roofing nails in each shingle they also go through the shingles below making 4 nails holding down the shingle. If the nails go into a wood sheeting, you would have a difficult job tearing the shingles off, even if you wanted to.

8. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Dang right.
    There's alot more to consider when laying t-locks,as opposed to laying other asphault shingles,and running them takes a bit of experience,even on a very basic roof.
    I'm all for"do it yourself",but I'd hire a pro to install 'em.If,god forbid,you have a step down to handle,you're in for a world of frustration and lost materials.
    The idea behind those little soulcrushers is that they"lock"by way of the tabs,and don't need a tar strip to bring the roof together.Ya' mostly run into them in cooler climates,where it might not get warm enough in the wintertime to heat up a tar strip,and seal a roof together.I've roofed more houses than I can remember with t-locks,but I hate those things.

9. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

They are a bit hard on knuckles and if you get some guy that cant follow a chalk line your in deep doodoo .
    I tell people Im not qualfied to be a roofer in this area , roofers either have a criminal record , are alcoholics or druggies . Im none of those so I tell them Im an upper level water proofing technician . Must be doing something right have not advertised since 86 and always have work . pyro is seasonal after all

10. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

in ohio SQUIRES roofing used those exclusively for many years. most people liked them. they gave the same 25 year warranty as the three tabs. haven't seen them in years.

11. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

I just got back from a job in North Central SD. In that part of the country they are being overtaken by barn metal roofing, but they are still available, and used, on new and reroofing work. I have seen many roofs in the area that have spent decades with some pretty extreme cold and wind conditions and still have every single t-lock in place and in good shape. I'm suprised to hear that some people have issues with them. I have installed them, and it isn't as easy as three tabs, but they also stay on the roof, and don't blow off like three tabs either.