Straight rabbit poop

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by birdie_poo, Mar 17, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Got lots of it...shouldn't hurt, but what are the pros & cons?

I'm running out of time and I want to get seeds started!!!! I'll be containering.

2. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

2 years ago, I used rabbit doo on my strawberry bed. I had the worst mess of weeds I ever saw. THere was just tiny grass everywhere. I had to dig up each plant and start a whole new bed somewheres else so I could till the original bed under. I will never use it again. JMO

Laura LYnn

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Rabbit poo is great stuff. It will not burn your plants.

4. SkyOne

SkyOne Active Member

Tried it and didn't like it. But however I have put it in a bucket of water and used water to fertilize. However with the bunnies is also the urine problem causing high ph balance. I used to clean under the cages and put in area that would be tilled in a couple of years. Not in my choice of fertilizers. Don't have bunnies anymore...Sky

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I used it straight last year and got great results - didn't have any more weeds than usual, but got an amazing amount of tomatoes from just a few plants. That's my 2 cents, anyway.

6. birdie_poo

I was thinking as much, myself. Mine are fed pellets, so I don't think I will have a problem with weeds. I didn't take into consideration the urine, though. All my poo is scrapped up and composted from under the hutches. It can sit in compost barrels for months without turning.

I asked my husband if he didn't mind, and he said no. I guess I was more worried about the thought of eating the fruits and veggies if the only nutrients they got were from the poo.

I guess, as long as no one knows....

7. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I also like the results I get from rabbit manure. The idea of "poo-water" I think I'll try this year, thanks!

Kaza

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

If you're container-ing, I'd recommend putting the bunny berries on the bottom, and not top-dressing with them. I did that once...and the roots of all my plants got huge, dense...and were climbing out of the pot...growing UP to where the nutrients were! It doesn't get washed through as well in pots, I guess!

Meg

9. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Bunny berries make nice compost tea. Wonderful fertilizer for heavy feeders like corn, brassicas, etc. Have you considered changing your user name to Bunny_poo?

10. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I love it. It's great for plant growth. I had a measly garden with scrawny plants, and with the poo I had a strong, almost over productive garden. Poo adds organic matter to the soil, and from my experience promotes stronger, more productive plants that are more resistant to bugs and weather. I used steer manure last year, and my father in law used Miracle Gro. His plants were tall, leggy, and didn't make too many tomatoes. I had STRONG, huge plants that made so many tomatoes I had to BEG people to take them. I haven't added any fertilizer this year, and the asparagus and beans are huge, too.

11. birdie_poo

With a ratio of 4 birds to 1 bunny, I think the birdie_poo is a better fit...besides, when walking in the yard, that tends to be what I step in. :haha:

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i have a waiting list of people who want my rabbit poop, i kid you not ,another lady who we have been talking to, shes been in rabbits for several years, and had at one time over 300 rabbits, she said she made enough from selling the poo to cover her feedbills ....
    its nice cause like goat berries, it doesnt need to compost ,pre pelleted poops are like that
    i had a friend in Wis who raises fallow deer, he sells his poo for big money too, donates the cash to the non profit zoo...

some manure breakdowns
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/fred.moor/soil/fertilis/f0107.htm