Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Is A Gas Stove Fueled By A 20 Lb. Tank Of Propane. In A Regular Kitchen. Tank Is Outside. The Pilot Lights Look Ok. But They Burn So Hot They Set Off The Smoke Alarm In The Next Room. The Stove Top Feels Hot From Them.

We Have Turned Off The Propane As We Try To Find The Problem.

Anyone Know Exactly What To Look For?

Thanks.

Mum

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Do the burners appear to working normally, or do they burn higher than what they should? It might be a problem with the regulator.
Even so, the alarm should only be set off by smoke or fumes. Certainly not by the heat of the pilot lights, or even normal cooking, which would be hotter.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
A couple of questions. Is this a new stove? Are you sure it is set up for propane? If yes to both questions, get a service man from the place you bought the stove to come check it. If no, have you used this stove before? If it worked ok before, was it hooked up to propane. Now if yes there is several things could be the problem. Regualor, some way the adjustment got moved for the pilot light, or if it has settings for both nat gas and propane, maybe it got switched some way. Don't take any chances as carbon mon is deadly and orderless. good luck and let us know what happens. Sam

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Questions

Have you used this very same set up before? If so and there wasn't a problem then the pilot lights probably just need adjusted, OR the hot spot is where you keep your coffee warm, you butter melting, etc.

If you haven't used this set up before are you sure you have the correct low pressure regulator and not a high pressure regulator? As an example BBQs use a low pressure regulator while the cooking pots, turkey fryers or whatever you call them uses a high pressure regulator. Both are typically about the same physical size.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
We use a propane stove, also have electric one, but on the propane stove, we cut the pilot lights off, just light with a match. Saves gas.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This Stove Has Been Here For Years. I Only Moved Into This House Last October From Next Door. It Is Usually A Rental House, But Renters Got To Be To Much Trouble, Never Heard Any Complaints In The Last 7 Years While Next Door. The Stove Has Always Worked Very Well For Me. Same Regulator Forever.

Two Months Ago We Moved The Stove To Put In A Cabinet Next To It. I Noticed Since Then That The Burners Were Really Hard To Get The Fire Turned Lower W/out Them Going Out. Only Recently Did The Smoke Alarm Go Off. This House Is Very Well Insulated. At Night I Turn Off The Air Cond. [only Air Cond. The Bedroom At Nite]. It Being 75 Degrees Out At Night, It Was That Hot In The House Too.

Have No Idea Where They Bought The Stove From Years Ago. We Go To The Hardware Store To Get The Tank Refilled. We Is My 21 Y.o. Grandson Who Does Chores For Me.

Thanks For The Replies. Will Check Them All Out When He Comes Over Again.

Mum

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Since this same setup has been used in the past I would probably just spend the money to replace the regulator. Regulators have a rubber diaphragm in them and of course we know that rubber does get old, dried out, and less flexible. To be safe I'd certainly replace it. One shouldn't be very high. The last small one I bought was around $5 or less which surprised me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
U Can Adjust The Pilot Lights On Propane Stoves, Get Model Number ,and Make And Call A Service Man He Can Tell U Were The Screw Is To Adjust It

1 - 8 of 8 Posts