Stove Black

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mullers Lane Farm, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

I am looking for a recipe for stove blacking. We have a potbelly stove in our kitchen and after the last heavy rain, water traveled down the chimney pipe and lightly rusted the top of the cast iron. PAUL

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I always just go to the Hardware Store and buy it. :confused:

big rockpile

3. Mullers Lane Farm

Rock,
    We can get black heat paint (not what we want), but no 'stove blacking'. The stores in our area don't carry it. We're rural NW IL. Closest large city is 60 miles away ....

Any other takers?? Thanks!
    Paul &

4. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

What's the difference?

5. harmony

harmony Well-Known Member

Stove black is a mixture of oils, waxes and black pigments. It helps seal cast iron woodstoves, kind of bakes on, and protects. Here, it is available at WalMart. It's pretty cheap.

6. If your any where near Clinton, IA, there is a fireplace shop that carries it here.

7. Ivey NLI

Ivey NLI Guest

MLF~To stop that drip from recurring, (if it's rain on the outside of the pipe) wrap a piece of smooth wire around the pipe a few inches out from the thimble. Go all the way around twice. Bring the ends together at the bottom and twist, leaving about an inch of the "pigtail" hanging down. Water will not run past it but will drip off and not come in the house. :)

8. bulldinkie

bulldinkie Well-Known Member

remember the burners Jennair had solid gray with the red dot in center.I use to get the stuiff you put on burners to use on stove it was a black greasy type stuff.Jenn air made it.

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

10. Mullers Lane Farm

You guys are AWESOME!!

We're about 30-40 miles east of Clinton IA - Got the name of the fireplace shop (make it easy on me??)

Ivey - I'll pass this along to DH. Thanks! The water is coming in from the outside of the box/pipe.

Agmantoo - will check out the website if the fireplace shop in Clinton falls through.

You folks are the GREATEST!

11. MaryJane

MaryJane Well-Known Member

I buy stove black at Wal-Mart in the section when they have the fireplace stuff and fake logs in season. It's very inexpensive.

12. cjengler

cjengler Active Member

The name of the fires place shop in Clinton, IA is "The Fireplace Shop". their phone is 563-242-3232