Storytelling

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by botebum, Jan 16, 2007.

1. botebum

botebum Up the Creek

I don't want to totally hijack FM's thread so here we are.
    Storytelling is an artform. Whether it is done in short form as in FM's posting or novel form as in... well, name a novelist... it's storytelling. Whether it is done to decieve the audience ie. ghost stories, or as a total fiction ie. Kurt Vonnegut, it is storytelling. It is to be taken on its merits as such and no more. A storyteller is not a liar. A liar does so with intent that achieves goals other than to give enjoyment.
    For a bunch of 'get back to the good ol' days' types that you all seem to want to portray yourselves as, and the do unto others, goodie goodies that you play at being, I don't see why, when a member tells a story, you immediately look for reasons to malign them. Is it totally against your being to believe the story enough to enjoy it? Or does your enjoyment only rear it's ugly head when you can attack another who is sharing a story for your intended enjoyment. Do you not embellish a tale to enhance the excitement of the listener? If you say no then I say you are either a bore or a liar.
    Keep talkin' FM. I don't give a damn if it's true or not, my happiness believes you.

Doug

2. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

for entertainment its fun and fine .
    After all is it a lie if you dont expect anyone to believe it.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

I've been an Ernest Hemingway fan my whole life. GREAT WRITER! (and we all know that he "embellished" his stories!) A lot of enjoyment is available in reading his stuff....some interesting philosophy also!

just my 2 centavos worth,
    Bruce (Junkmanme in New Mexico)

4. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I obviously missed FM's post - I have no idea what this is about.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

This dirt farming is serious business. How dare anyone come on here and act silly or fluff up some facts just to make someone smile. Bah Humbug.

6. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

Me too, where is it? :shrug:

7. botebum

botebum Up the Creek

My original post was in January. Junkmanme revived it. If I remember correctly it was in response to the FM post about naked people in his driveway.

Doug

8. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

aww Id been wondering Id been up to!

9. uncle Will in In.

Fantasymaker, Was that you out there in your skin again? LOL I think that's called organic clothing. That's all the rage now-a-days.

10. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

So how do you know the difference between story and Lie?

When you pick up the book that's listed as fiction, you know.
    When the storyteller announces - "now here's a good story....", you know.

Or when the storyteller's name is "fantasymaker", maybe you catch on?

It's the confusion that angers people.
    When everyone but you knows that so-and-so tells a big tale, it's embarrassing...

and for lots of folks there is almost nothing worse than being embarrassed.

11. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Ok what do you do when you are in my situation? I have another name that I came to this site with its very plain .And I have this one. A gift to me from a fan on another site of certain abilities. I would prefer to use this one on only the single tree and the other on ther rest of the forum.(this one was originally a bit more risque)
    At the time I started using this one my other wasnt working and I pretty much posted only on single tree where the contations were diferent. But you know how it is there are thread titles you just cant resist checking out and pretty soon Id used this name around the forum.
    Then I discovered the other was working agin, not wanting to lose that history or the old friends that knew me there I kept it open. There isnt a way to combine them.
    Then I started a brawl by admitting this HEIRSEY! I really didnt know it was aginst the rules till then. So I went to the admin and asked what to do. I was told just dont post under one of the names. So thats what I do I try to post the ocational innocuos post with it to keep it open but I dont use it.
    So what do I do? Start a third Id for factual stories? Maybe something like "Serious this aint no joke" might be a good name? Naw I just think that would fan the flames
    As for the verasity of my stories here unless its an obvious joke its factual its not my fault that I live a life some find incomprehensable!
    Heres the part that I get a kick out of everytime I tell something about my life where I think Im the only one thats ever happened to or that its so far out that Im the only one who has gone that far theres ALWAYS people who chime in and say yep I hate it when that happens to me,AND then tell a story or post a link to something that makes me look like a piker.

12. uncle Will in In.

Yep, it's just like fishin'. Never tell about what you caught until the other guy tells his best lie.

13. botebum

botebum Up the Creek

Seems like y'all are too focused on attack. What is the problem with reading a good story and enjoying it? Are you so helpless as to need to verify these stories to go on with your own existence? Some of you people are pathetic. You would truly suck at a campout. Don't ever go near Mark Twain, you'd blister yourselves trying to refute all his variations of truth. So sad when grown adults can't hear a story without getting their panties in a bunch.
    BOO!... That probably scared the crap out of more than one of you. :rolleyes:

Doug