storm

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by evilbunny, Jun 11, 2004.

1. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

I have such a nice garden this year. Right now there is a storm raging outside with hail, high winds and very heavy rain. We are under a tornado warning.

I watched the tornado clouds go right over. As I sit here I can hear hail hitting the windows. So far they are very small pieces but I can hear them getting larger and hitting harder. Every one I hear hit the windows makes me cringe.

MY POOR GARDEN!!

My apple trees got hit by a late frost and it froze off all the little apples that were forming. Now the garden is getting hit. I hope it comes through.

I am safe. Or as safe as you can be in this weather and at this house. I'm watching the radar and the weather people are set up half a mile up the highway so I know their information they are putting out is right here. The TV stations do a great job of reporting on this. They keep breaking into the programming.

AAAHHHH the sound of that hail is driving me crazy.

2. margo

margo Well-Known Member

E-bunny, I really hope for your sake, first, that the storms go calmer and go away, and, as a gardener, I do hope that nothing gets ruined. Let us know how you are. This spring has been a trial here in the Ohio Valley, too.

3. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

Evilbunny I hope you and the garden make it ok!Keep us posted.

tambo

4. evilbunny

Just back in from the garden.

I learned one lesson from an experiment I was doing. I had planted 2 rows of peas about 3 ft apart.

Each row consisted of two rows 4" apart with radishes planted in the middle and white onions planted on the south side of one row, the staked them on branchy twigs. The 2nd row is also planted 4" apart but with red onions planted in the middle and carrots planted on the south side without any staking. (The rows run east to west). The 2nd row is wiped out. It looks like the wind blew it around so much a lot of it is broken off about 6 inches off the ground. The onions in that row sort of experienced the same thing.

All the beans and tomatoes look very beaten up but will come through. Lots of broken leaves and wilty looking today. I am sure they will all come back. The lettuce, spinach and greens are toast. They were nearly done anyway but now they are flat as a pancake and I bet by the end of this hot muggy day they will be nothing more than wilty mess. I think the chickens will get a treat tomorrow.

In all, it wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The storm was really something to see. The storm chasers were camped out at the end of my road watching the tornados. There were 3 of them spotted in this area. Only one touched down and it only took an old barn...thank you lord.

More storms tonight!!! Its been one stormy spring/summer so far and we seem to be in the middle of it every time. LOL ok, who was the one that asked for THIS... (snicker, I did ask for lots of rain this year to see if that would make my onions big)

5. margo

margo Well-Known Member

I see the weather channel stories about these storms, we are east of you in Oh. Valley. I am glad you didn't get hit with the tornadoes. Very scarey. Are you going to replant some of your crops? That is, when it dries out?

6. evilbunny

I already have new lettuce, spinach and greens replanted and barely coming up. I dont think anything else got damaged so badly it wont recover, it will just set it all back a little.

Got lucky, no storms today...so far, LOL its 9:30