Storm disaster

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Corky, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I am back on line after almost a week without internet.
    It will probably go out again after the next wave of bad weather.
    Homesteading training has keep us safe and warm here at our place so far.
    I still fear that a big tree out back may take out our bedroom. So far , so good.
    Trees are ice covered everywhere! Many have fallen and most are broken.
    We have several large branches down all over our place.
    Our garage is covered with large branches that fell from very tall trees.
    We are amazed that none of them broke through the roof.
    We could not get out of our drive for a couple of days but we finally got the mess cut and dragged out of the drive so I could get to work this week.
    We filled large tubs with water so we could water the animals.
    The power came on after a couple of days and we filled the tubs back up as soon as it did.
    The power has gone off for a while every day but so far we are doing great compared to so many others that are still without power after a week.
    I feel blessed to have the training to be prepared for this kind of thing.
    THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!
    It is creepy to hear trees snapping and falling all around you at night.
    The river flooded too as we got a bunch of rain out of this. Too bad it was freezing rain.
    We are now expecting a snow storm with lots of very wet snow to take down any trees stupid enough to think they lucked out.
    Oh well, this too shall pass.
    Tree trimming crews and electric workers are here from all over the USA.
    They are doing an awesome job.

2. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member

Corky....stay safe and warm!!

3. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Keep in mind that the trees faling around you are free firewood.I am glad that you learn rether than just blowing it off. There is a silver lining in everything if you look at it in the reight light.

4. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

You all are expecting more bad weather?! Yikes! What I saw on the news looked terrible,I hope it won't be as bad as expected this time. Be safe!

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

you and milt stay safe, corky! we're sending good thoughts to all you guys in the ozarks. :angel: to watch over you...

6. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

7. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I live in the very corner of SW Mo.
    We have been homesteaders for almost 11 years now and fell almost like veterans now.
    We have almost been caught with our supplies down at times though.
    I get tired of eating stuff that is a year old and let the supplies dwindle down quite a bit in the summer time when the garden is going full blast.
    Summer stormes take down power lines too and we have had to make do more than usual when that happens.
    Of course I run out and re-stock as soon as I can after that happens.
    Nothing like an emergency to let you know what you forgot to stock up on. :rolleyes:
    Don't worry about us. We are just fine here. Just pray that giant sycamore tree on the hill behind the house doesn't come down on us.

I lost my big juniper tree in the south yard though. Anyway, I think I have. They say if it still has 50% of its branches left it may make it. It lost a buncg of reqally big ones and I won't know till it melts and we can get to it.
    That tree is where much of my winter birds feed and get in out of the weather. They also hide from the eagles and hawks in it.
    When it gets really cold in the winter, the tree fills up with bluebirds and cardinals. They puff up to stay warm and then my tree is decorated with red and blue balls. It is beautiful. It was full of those birds when it started breaking. Poor birds!

8. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

If I were you I don't think I'd sleep in the bedroom you think the tree might fall on, until after the danger is past. We got a little ice, but nothing like ya'll have. Will keep you in our prayers.

9. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

:) Ruby, we slept on the hide-a-bed in the livingroom for a week.
    We had two warm days that were not supposed to be.
    4th really bad storm in a row predicted but was all rain and sleet mix and everything melted off the next day. All the ice is gone now.
    We are sleeping back in our own bed now. YEA!

10. rannie

rannie Well-Known Member

corky remember we are not that far away if you need anything, we barely got anything here glad all the ice is melted! rannie