Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had a serious storm and I noticed that the basswood next to my house has a fractured root..

The wind comes off the lake and blows fairly parallel to the house. Any predictions on which way it will go if it falls? It looks like it was leaning away from the house to make the root crack like it did. My shoe points away from the house. This has been a good tree to have next to the house because it provides a lot of shade.

Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Helmet Groundcover

·
Premium Member
33,047 Posts
Picture of the whole tree would help predict which way it might fall. There are a lot of other factors besides just the root crack.

I'm sorry about your tree. Good shading, mature trees are a treasure.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
The pic makes it look like the root is lifting and pointing away from you, suggesting it wants to go that way, but Danaus is right-- many other factors involved, including which way the wind usually bows in storms by you....How strong does the rest of the tree & roots look? Maybe that's a minor injury and the tree isn't particularly prone to fall at all?

BTW- I like those shoes. I have a pair that's wearing out but can't seem to find any more.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The pic makes it look like the root is lifting and pointing away from you, suggesting it wants to go that way, but Danaus is right-- many other factors involved, including which way the wind usually bows in storms by you....How strong does the rest of the tree & roots look? Maybe that's a minor injury and the tree isn't particularly prone to fall at all?

BTW- I like those shoes. I have a pair that's wearing out but can't seem to find any more.
Nothing to do with the tree part, but doc you can find those shoes just about anywhere. The originals are Crocs, but there are so many knock offs. I will say the Crocs are better. Check Crocs.com or Amazon, they have them.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Get it cut down now. Don't wait for another gust of wind. Basswood doesn't make very good firewood, but I would rather have it stacked next to the house, than laying across the roof.

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those crocs are at least 20 years old. I had trouble with the pins coming out but I was always able to find it again. Now I put some construction adhesive on it and it seems to be holding.
In 32 years I've never seen the wind blow towards the house.

The sky is starting to rumble again so we may be getting another short storm

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
loosing the shade hurts , no doubt , but you don't want the call I got 8/24/2021

"there was a huge crack and now all I can see out side is tree limbs , there is no water coming in the house but you need to get home now "

I had a HUGE Hackberry (elm Family) it shaded an area around 75 feet in diameter , the hole south side of the house

well I got really lucky the only damage was a few edges of the metal garage roof messed up where the tree laid down on the garage roof it covered every inch of space between the back door and the top of the garage one big limb about 35x60 feet where it broke off the tree it was about 16-18 inches in diameter the tree was rotten inside. so I had to take it all down.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
Those crocs are at least 20 years old. I had trouble with the pins coming out but I was always able to find it again. Now I put some construction adhesive on it and it seems to be holding.
In 32 years I've never seen the wind blow towards the house.

The sky is starting to rumble again so we may be getting another short storm
a friend had a 150+ year old tree next to his house and the wind always blew from the west , got a weird storm and it came out of the east , he got real lucky it just clipped the gutter on the way down , it was so big around I had to cut from both sides with a 28 inch bar the main trunk was around 36 inches across 25 feet up the trunk

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The house is up for sale and I doubt the new owners will live in this house. They may not rebuild in the same spot.

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the house wasn't going to be torn down in a few months I probably would but it would cost hundreds of dollars just to get the branches run through a chipper.

It doesn't show in the photos but there is a significant lean towards the driveway and that's above the lean at the stump.

·
Premium Member
23,867 Posts
I have no input on how the tree will land, but my heart goes out to you.

I love basswood/linden trees, and have not been able to plant one in our new place yet.

Those trees fill me with happiness and peace. I am sorry that you lost yours.

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no input on how the tree will land, but my heart goes out to you.

I love basswood/linden trees, and have not been able to plant one in our new place yet.

Those trees fill me with happiness and peace. I am sorry that you lost yours.
That's the only individual tree on the property. The rest are just trees. It has shaded the house for decades.

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the view from the kitchen window. As you can see it leans pretty good and most of the branches are on the same side. It also leans further up the stem and away from the house.

Plant Sky Tree Shade Land lot
Plant Window Tree Land lot Grass

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks a lot larger in person.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Funny, but in the first pic it doesn't look like it's leaning at all (must be leaning directly away from the camera?). In the others, the lean is extreme. Unless a tornado sucks it right out of the ground, it's going down in the direction of the lean, regardless of the wind direction. It looks like the house is safe....To fall in another direction, the wind would have to be strong enough to lift the entire weight of the tree up ad over its own center of gravity-- highly unlikley.

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah the more I look at it the more comfortable I get to let it stay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts