storm damage

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Apr 30, 2006.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

we came home last night to a collapsed ceiling in our laundry room (old back porch). It looked worse than it was after clean up.. I got up there and it looked as if hail had gone through the asphalt in one of the valleys.. Tarred the heck out of it so we'll see if it leaks (when it rains again).

I'm getting ready to stick a fan out there to dry the floor out.. My question is do I need to consider replacing the drywall on the walls that got wet?.

This just makes me sick. I just spent about a month remodeling this room and had it looking good.. all for not.. I just count my blessings that it didn't leak into the rest of the house as I also finished the dining room and am currently about to finish the kitchen.

2. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

\
    I am not sure about replacement of drywall (that's sheetrock down here) but mold will grow on sheetrock if you don't keep a fan running to help dry things out. If you do get any mold growth (the black fuzzy kind) you can kill it with pure bleach (10%) wiped on the drywall. Of course if you have painted...you will probably strip the paint off too, but if it is new drywall that isn't painted or just has the prime coat on, use bleach, then you can cover with Kilz which is supposed to cover mold and mildew.

Sorry to hear of your ceiling, thank goodness your house didn't flood!!

3. pcdreams

Yea we had severe hail a few weeks back.. That must have been when the problem started.. When the ceiling fell the sheetrock(drywall) had mold on the back.. The stuff on the walls was already top coated with paint so I guess I'll run that fan and keep my fingers crossed...

Thankfully I hadn't put down the vinyl flooring yet.. See sometimes procrastination is a good thing. LOL

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Not unless its falling down/off.Nail pops are a sign it may have gotten to wet.You can sometimes re-nail it though.The paint will usually release from any joints that got to wet.Just scrap off the loose paint and patch.Re-patch around any patch spots that released when wet from the first round of dry wall mud used to patch the area.May take three times to finally get it all.But after painting it will be fine again.

5. pcdreams

I got it drying out now... I'm hoping for rain again soon so I can see if I got the leak fixed before I fix it all again :)

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Sorry to here about that hope you got it patched good.

7. pcdreams

me too.. I guess I can't complain to much though.. This house is about 100 yrs old and I'd bet its probally about due for a new roof.. I just hope I can eak it out till we get it sold.:)