Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the 100 fastest disappearing thread, great stuff there.

We have 2 ponds with underground springs, so we're thinking water may not be as big of an issue for us as we could maybe boil it or something.

My question is though, how do you store water and how long would it be good for? We have many food grade 55 gal drums we could use if we needed to, but how do you keep the water from going bad? Wouldnt it get green slime & those swimming buggy things in there?

Thanks
HF

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
My barrels are food grade, and I filled them with fresh well water. I added about three tablespoons of bleach to each one, and screwed the bung on really well. I drain them and refill them about every 2-3 years and the water inside is still fresh and good to drink. I wouldn't fill my barrels from a pond, because of the problems you mentioned. But your spring fed ponds would be a good source in a pinch. You'd still need to boil it or run it through a good filter just to get the bacteria and other nasties out....

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,905 Posts
We use 55-gallon food-grade drums.

Three are stacked, using the locking rings to hold them together, and stood up right. the top drum has a faucet near the bottom and a float valve at the top. Covered with a plastic bag.

This is next to our washing machine and provides water when our power goes out.

In our basement we have two drums on their sides, with faucets, filled with water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts