Storing potatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by WillowPath, Jun 15, 2005.

1. WillowPath

WillowPath New Member

We just harvested 2 rows of our potatoes and have about 20 lbs. Much better than last time where the gophers got most of them. Does anyone have a good way to store the potatoes?
    I know that you can't freeze them. We don't have a garage, basement or root cellar. :waa:

Thanks!

2. walksalone

walksalone New Member

You can store your potatoes in the crisper drawer of your fridge. Just make sure to lightly sprinkle them with water every week or so, or they'll start to shrivel up on you.

3. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

You can freeze them. First you would have to fry them in oil but not til done. Just lightly, I would guess about 2-3 minutes. Cool them.. then freeze in bags. When you need them just fry them more or bake in the oven. What I prefer to do though is to put them in a plastic container with a lid and bury it in the back yard. Make sure the container is water proof. It works like a mini root cellar.

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

We can most of ours. In our heat and humidity that's about the only way they'll keep for any length of time. We haven't tried freezing them the way Kygardengal said. That sounds interesting.

5. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

hi,
    We actually do freeze some of our potatoes each year. Here's how I do it.
    We actually peel the potatoes in a fish scaler( sounds wierd but works great) then I boil them whole. Let them air dry and then grate them. I freeze in portions that we will use.When you thaw there will be a little water in them. Drain off water and use. I use them for potato pancakes, gourmet potatoes and ham and a breakfast potato dish we make. If you want recipes let me know. Hope this helps. We usually plant around a 100 pounds seed potatoes each year (large family lots of mouths to feed). Tyusclans wife