Storing perennials to transplant in spring

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Sabrina, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Sabrina

Sabrina Well-Known Member

Can I divide hostas and other perennials now and store them over the winter in the garage to transplant in the spring? If so, how?

We might be moving, and many of my plants need to be divided anyway so I thought I might be able to take some with me.

Sabrina

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I have to wait to plant a bunch of mine (soil still soggy) so I "heeled them in" into pots.....they have no moving room, but I figured it was more natural then leaving them bareroot. Maybe some expert will come along.......

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

yes I would do the same as sue. get into pots with soil.
    Hosta's can be divided or dug up at any time of the year too, so if you got them planted now it wouldn't hurt to dig em up in spring or summer. They would be better off outside than in a garage though.

4. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

I would definitely pot them up and plant pot and all. while it is hard to kill hosta, they would do much better in the ground. And they will be easy to move. I do this with hardy mums that I propogate each year. I save some to give away and if I have no takers, I just put them, pot and all, in the ground and next year they are usually taken to someone else's yard for planting.