Storing gas??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by barnyardfun, Apr 25, 2006.

1. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

How long can you store gas before it starts to lose its octane, etc......???
    I was thinking about trying to stock up a little for the summer when prices are bound to go up but I don't know how long I can store the gas without it going "bad". Any idea would be great!

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

If stored in the 55 gallon drums made for fuel that have the small threaded acces with the threaded cap it will last several months at minimum . If you dont have one then put in a approved container with a lid and add some of the Sta Bil fuel stabilizer available at parts stores and wal marts. One bottle will treat quite alot of fuel and ist just a few dollars.

3. Richard6br

Richard6br Well-Known Member

I wouldn't panic, the public won't tolerate much over $3.00 a gallon very long. The useage will go down as will the price. Unless of course something very nasty happens in the middle east.

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I Don't no what there doing to the fuel now days.Ive heard it has a shorter shelf life to keep you from storing up on it.I can tell ya i use gas to start my BBQ grill.Yea Yea big boom,unsafe, sure what ever.Been doing it for over 20 years works for me and theres always some here in one jug or another.Anyway about that big boom.When you first buy the gas you will get a big boom no dought.But with in a week of the gas being stored in a plastic container (no matter where its stored) the boom gets less intense.After about a week or two its more of a poof than a boom.Id image in about three months it would light up like Diesel fuel. :rolleyes: Not sure how well the Stabil fuel additive works but i wouldn't try storing any quantity with out adding something to it.

5. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

I've considered this myself. But, another thought is a fire & explosion spreading the fires if you have gas stored. Personally I think every citizen across the US needs to go on strike & just not even show up for work!! Would put quite a damper on the economy. *evil grin* Unfortunatly no one can afford this option tho. lol I don't know what peoples going to do if the prices doesn't come down soon. The guys & boss where DH works building houses, etc are talking about putting in 4 day/10 hr shifts instead of 5 days a week to help eliminate some cost of getting to work. That'll at least save one days expense. It's costing at least 1 hr a day in gas just to afford to work.

6. FnORD

FnORD New Member

A product...Sta-bil extends gasoline life to one year. One should not
    leave gasoline in one's vehicle gas tank for much more than a week
    without treatment. The product preserves volatility.

The best price around Houston is found at Auto Zone. A large container
    is $9.99. It is ubiquitous, however.