·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do fresh eggs have to be refrigerated?

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I refrigerate during the summer but not during the winter. I also have a few roosters right now which changes the equation in favor of refrigeration.

Mostly if you don't wash them you should be fine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Eggs don't need to be refrigerated, but one day out on the counter at room temperature is equivalent to about a week in the refrigerator, so if you aren't planning on eating your eggs for awhile, it is best to refrigerate them.

T

·
0 Posts
If you don't wash them, no. If you have a male whatever (drake, rooster, tom, gander, etc) within a day or two, refrigerate. I try to get them in right away, but I've been known to leave them in the nests for a day for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
We have a rooster and leave our eggs out on the counter winter and summer. Temps inside are not higher than 78. We do not wash the eggs until ready to be used if they need be. Don't think we have any eggs older then a week/week in and half though.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Unless it's 100 degrees F in your kitchen(or wherever you store your eggs) they will not begin to develop into chick.
My kitchen gets a fair amount of direct sunlight. I'm not saying it absolutely will happen but I would not personally eat a potentially fertilized egg that had been outside of the refrigerator for some time during the summer.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Everything I've read says they are good for at least 2 weeks on the counter and 3 months in the fridge. I haven't left them on the counter for more than a day though so I am just giving you second hand info. Seeing if they will float is a good way to know if they are bad though.

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
They may/ will be fertilized...

Refrigeration stops all development and the eggs will just be eggs. If you leave them out you may get a unpleasant surprise with breakfast.
Unless it's 100 degrees F in your kitchen(or wherever you store your eggs) they will not begin to develop into chick.
I was generalizing....
.....and implying that a fertilized egg would develop if stored outside the refrigerator, which is false, misleading and how untruths are spread as fact, which benefits no one seeking valid information.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks everyone for the help

·
Registered
629 Posts
We keep ours at room temperature. We always crack our eggs into a little bowl before using. You really can't eat a bad egg on accident unless you have no sense of smell. You can ruin a half prepared dish if you crack an egg directly into it... :)

·
Premium Member
10,401 Posts
I am constantly finding eggs throughout the day in various places. All I find go into the refrigerator; however, when I go to cook with any, I crack it into a bowl first just to make sure it is a good egg.

I've even frozen eggs. Just crack it open, place each into a part of an ice tray and puncture the yellow part. Works fine for cooking with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts