Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if there is a special way of storing a small deep freezer? I maybe stored it up to a yr. and I don't want it to get all moldy. I have washed out and air dried for a week now. What is the next step. TIA

·
Registered
747 Posts
Unregistered said:
Was wondering if there is a special way of storing a small deep freezer? I maybe stored it up to a yr. and I don't want it to get all moldy. I have washed out and air dried for a week now. What is the next step. TIA
i would go ahead and store it with something wedged in the door, so it cant completely close, that would stop any mold or yechy stuff
also spray it with a 10 to 1 bleach solution, not straight bleach

Beth

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
be carful that you don't make a permanent dent in the seal with whatever you stick in there. i did that once and it basically ruined the seal. maybe prop something inside so it is holding the lid up and not resting the weight of the lid on the seal.

jena

·
Head Muderator
1,857 Posts
It's been my experience that refrigerators and freezers don't store well. Often an appliance that has worked faithfully for many years, once unplugged, goes bad.

Maybe you could loan it to a friend or even your local foodbank until you need it back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
bare said:
It's been my experience that refrigerators and freezers don't store well. Often an appliance that has worked faithfully for many years, once unplugged, goes bad.

Maybe you could loan it to a friend or even your local foodbank until you need it back.
Bare's right, the seals dry out and can end up leaking which will make the condensing unit burn up. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it's overnight. If you do store it, I wouldn't try to prop it open. What happens when you forget the 2x4 is in there and you plop a heavy box on the lid? I would but in a box of Arm & Hammer and some desicant and shut the lid.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
My mother always wiped all the inside surfaces with rubbing alcohol. We frequently had our stuff in storage or enroute, being military. Make sure when it is stored that no water can get in it to rust the bottom. An open container of silica gel crystals is a good insurance.

·
Head Muderator
1,857 Posts
Good point Uncle Will, maybe you could make ice with empty gallon jugs filled with water and sell the ice to your friend and neighbors for camping purposes.

We have a few freezers here, most full of goods, but whenever we take something out leaving an empty space, we always replace it with a jug of water to freeze. If nothing else, we bring them into the house and stick 'em in the refrigerator, helping to take the expense of running that particular appliance down.

I've alway heard that freezers are most efficient when they are full, and someone is always in need of the ice.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Bare's right. My 5 year old freezer died after I unplugged it for a few months. Talk about mad! The one I have now is 30 years old and it's never been turned off except to move it around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts