Storing Deep Freeze

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Was wondering if there is a special way of storing a small deep freezer? I maybe stored it up to a yr. and I don't want it to get all moldy. I have washed out and air dried for a week now. What is the next step. TIA

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i would go ahead and store it with something wedged in the door, so it cant completely close, that would stop any mold or yechy stuff
    also spray it with a 10 to 1 bleach solution, not straight bleach

Beth

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

be carful that you don't make a permanent dent in the seal with whatever you stick in there. i did that once and it basically ruined the seal. maybe prop something inside so it is holding the lid up and not resting the weight of the lid on the seal.

jena

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

It's been my experience that refrigerators and freezers don't store well. Often an appliance that has worked faithfully for many years, once unplugged, goes bad.

Maybe you could loan it to a friend or even your local foodbank until you need it back.

5. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

Bare's right, the seals dry out and can end up leaking which will make the condensing unit burn up. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it's overnight. If you do store it, I wouldn't try to prop it open. What happens when you forget the 2x4 is in there and you plop a heavy box on the lid? I would but in a box of Arm & Hammer and some desicant and shut the lid.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My mother always wiped all the inside surfaces with rubbing alcohol. We frequently had our stuff in storage or enroute, being military. Make sure when it is stored that no water can get in it to rust the bottom. An open container of silica gel crystals is a good insurance.

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

My experience has been like Bare's. Keep it out of the sun. Turn up the thermostat and let it run. Runs cheaper full than empty, I'm told.

8. bare

bare Head Muderator

Good point Uncle Will, maybe you could make ice with empty gallon jugs filled with water and sell the ice to your friend and neighbors for camping purposes.

We have a few freezers here, most full of goods, but whenever we take something out leaving an empty space, we always replace it with a jug of water to freeze. If nothing else, we bring them into the house and stick 'em in the refrigerator, helping to take the expense of running that particular appliance down.

I've alway heard that freezers are most efficient when they are full, and someone is always in need of the ice.

9. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

Bare's right. My 5 year old freezer died after I unplugged it for a few months. Talk about mad! The one I have now is 30 years old and it's never been turned off except to move it around.