Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a sack of wheat in May to use in making bread and I still have a fair bit left. Could anyone tell me how long you can keep it for?Would it still be ok to use? It's been stored in a metal bin in a coolish room.
Thanks in advance
Kaitlin

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Whole grain keeps a long, long time, as long as it is kept dry. Not knowing the degree of humidity it has been exposed to makes it difficult for me to say for sure... but in general, I would have no problem with using grain that had been stored since last spring or even longer, provided that there was no musty, mouldy odour to it. The bran that covers each grain of wheat is designed to protect it. You could try sprouting a little if you are in doubt... if it will grow, that seems to me a good indication that it is still "fresh".

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I keep my wheat for bread in a plastic bucket (food grade plastic). It will keep for a very, very long time. You can also use ice cream buckets. This is only for wheat you are going to use up immediately. For longer storage - like 30 years - you need to seal it in air tight containers.

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Properly stored wheat (in buckets lined with sealed mylar bags with oxygen absorbers) can keep for decades. If it's dry and free of bugs, it's still fine to use.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Some grain found in Egyptian tombs proved to be still viable.

That's the beauty of buying whole grain and grinding it yourself -- you can stock up and it doesn't easily go bad. So long as it's properly stored in a dry, dark environment, it's going to be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
wow, funny this thread come up! i was thinking of buying a large (20#?) at walmart in the flour aisle. anyone done this? i really love the cracked wheat cereal i get from 'bobs red mill' but its over $3 for a lb., whereas this huge bag of whole wheat is around $14.

so if this wheat is good, (or where to buy if not? we have really limited places to buy) how to use it? wheat digests for me very well, and it sooo good, plus, our cockateil eats it!

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
Because of how wet it can be were I live, I now "vacuum seal" all my left over grains. Stores really well this way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts