Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gina, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Gina

Gina Active Member

Does this jumbo version book have all the same info as the small booklets or do the small booklets contain more? I don't mind having all the small different books if they are more in-depth. I would prefer to spend my money on the most in-depth AND up to date info.

Gina

2. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

I haven't read it but I would urge you to check our Carla Emery's book "The Encyclopedia of Country living" before you buy. See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-6874215-1206207?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

She covers more than most people need to know in a way that's useful and entertaining. Reading her anecdotes will also give you a flavor for people living in rural settings. Sometimes that's worth more than the "how to" stuff.

3. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hi, I have this book and I do love it but you are right, it might not contain as much as the small booklets...It contains 564 pages and does have quite a bit of different subjects.
    Part 1 is: your place in the country
    with 1. Your country home
    2.outdoor space
    3.the water supply
    4.plumbing
    5. heating your home
    6 electricity
    7. basic home improvement
    8. the home interior
    and Part 1 is total 154 pages
    It also contains
    part 2 your garden, yard and orchard
    part 3 country cooking and stocking up
    part 4 your barn, stable and fields.
    I do no that i have several other books by storey that i use in addition to this one:like the goat book...because i have goats and the rabbit book...but i think this book is very well much worth it because it is all together in one book. If you can find it used, that would be even better. I checked one out at the library, before i decided to purchase mine.

Belinda

4. Gina

Gina Active Member

Thank you for your replies. I already have Back to Basics and Five Acres and Independence. I have heard of the Encyclopedia of Country Living and am adding it to my book collection soon. Perhaps it will be a good idea to add the large Storey book as well as various smaller ones that I have a specific need for. Can anyone recommend other books that will be useful? We don't ever plan to have a huge acreage. We prefer a small homestead of 1-15 acres.

Gina

5. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Oh.. a wonderful book:
    Country Life - A Handbook for Realists and Dreamers by Paul Heiney. (no, really.. Heiney.) *snicker* Copyright 1998

It is somewhat Lovely to look at since the pics of all the animals are pooh pooh free, but has some WONDERFUL photographs and plans for small acreage as well as larger complete with a 'plan' for the first few years. (i.e. pigs to plow up next year's garden, etc.) Has ideas for planning, animal housing, gardening, crop planning, etc.

If nothing else, it is inspiration for the "perfectionist" homesteader (and wanna be's still stuck in town!:):)

I highly recommend it for all!

6. PACrofter

PACrofter Well-Known Member

Two books that I refer to frequently, both for great reference material and to recharge my imagination, are:

The Have-More Plan by Ed and Carolyn Robinson, published by Storey Communications; you can find it at:

http://www.storey.com/books/book.php/y/7/p/0/isbn/0-88266-024-1)

-- and --

The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It, by John Seymour; ISBN 0-7894-9332-2. Amazon or most other booksellers would probably carry it, and your local library might as well.

Both books have great ideas for small properties. Unfortunately, my lot is even smaller -- for now! Happy homesteading.

Donal

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We enjoyed reading Country Women

8. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Another 'all around' homesteading information source is Nathan Griffith's book Husbandry.