Storeing apples

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by alleyyooper, Aug 12, 2013.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

I have two apple trees in the back yard, normally a couple would come get them to make cider but the lady passed away and the guy isn't intrested any longer.
    I was wondering if I could pick them and store them in 5 gallon pails and put them in the pole barn shade and what ever coolness it provided till say Mid december?

Other wise the deer just come and eat them as they fall and leave juicy calling cards so to speak.

:D Al

2. praieri winds

praieri winds Well-Known Member

I would not put them in a bucket someone said on here once that they layer them in hay on a floor if the touch they rot faster

partndn likes this.

3. calliemoonbeam

calliemoonbeam Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard the no touching thing too, as well as making sure they have good air flow. I read once where someone wrapped each in newspaper and then put them in metal open-work crates, but that seems like a lot of work. I like the hay idea. :)

4. alleyyooper

How about a card board box with a layer of newspaper between rows?

5. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Dehydrate apple slices for snacks.....for pies......make apple butter and apple sauce...wow, you are lucky....

6. mpennington

mpennington Well-Known Member

I read about wrapping vidallia onions for storage and bought about 60 pounds back at the beginning of May. Dehydrated 40 pounds and wrapped the others individually in paper towels, placed single layer in fruit boxes from Sam's (the cardboard kind that stack and allow air space all around). They are keeping really well and I've never had success with vidallias lasting.

Not sure if wrapping would work with the apples, but hopefully you would have as good success as I have had with the onions. I'm really glad I tried. I'll probably get 100 pounds next year.

7. calliemoonbeam

calliemoonbeam Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks MP! I love Vidalias, but have never had much luck with them lasting long either. I'm going to give that a try! :)

8. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Apple pie filling, canned apples, applesauce, apple butter...........................:)

9. Limon

Limon Well-Known Member

Do you know the variety? Have you tried eating any of them? Not all apples store well. Not all cider apples make good eating apples. Personally, I'd try storing a portion to see how long they last, but I would preserve the majority in case they don't store well. Lots of good suggestions already on other ways of using them.

10. alleyyooper

Wish I had hours and hours to deal with making all the stuff apples can be made into. But I don't have hours and hours right now. that is why the question was asked about storeing them till I would have time.

Thanks just the same, the deer are enjoying them for now. I'll try a box and news paper.

11. Roadking

Roadking Well-Known Member Supporter

Just got 75 pounds of tart green, not sure of variety. Was going to do the newspaper route, but saw a large stack of coffee filters that don't work in my new pot...perfect size for them.
    Just wrapped 200, put in brown paper bag and set in basement.
    Be sure to cull any with bruises or damage; the old adage rings true...one rotten apple spoils the bunch.

Matt

calliemoonbeam likes this.