Store pics.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by daytrader, Apr 20, 2006.

1. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Isn't there a story to go with the pictures?

3. daytrader

One thing I have noticed.

We have a open time of 6 am. Yet we get to the store before 5 am to get things going. We open then. How long that will keep up I do not know.

The kids feed this place in the am as do the communters.

We have many children. I mean young kids. 8 years old and such. That come in every morning so far. They have the exact amount for a pint of milk and a donut. They get the donut and milk with a few pennies left over for penny candy and nickel gum.

I can not find it in my heart to charge them tax. I really can not do it. They look forward to having that few peices of nickel gum to take with them. Hey whats 5 cents tax? I will pay it for them.

I mean its a dang donut and some milk. We started Monday with 3 dozen donuts. We are not on Wednessday moving 7 dozen a day. Our donut provider Woods Bakery of Ofallon can not belive it. THEY NEVER THOUGHT WE WOULD SELL 1 DOZEN.

The high school kids that drive to school 3 miles away. They stop in on there way to school. They have turned out to be fun folks. They liven the place up. THESE are the same high speed driven fightin kids that cause alot of problems. Here they can hang out not doing any harm. Hang out with the mayor and many trustees. They are good kids that are not doing what we did. Just when you are in the elected side you hear about it.

I took off at 11am to go vendor shoppin. I left the hired help to the store. This is her first job in 40+ years. Also her first time left along.The wife went home to do some laundry and house work. We left her with a cell phone (landline will take one more week to be installed as will ADVANCED security sytem and cameras).

She called because vendors kept comming out. I finally told her. Your there. I am here. Take care of them. She is trust worthy and its new to me and the wife as well. We will learn. She is just a worry wart. I know she will make mistakes. I still have not taken the lesson my wife wants to give me on the register.

I showed up when school was out and the place was hopping. No problem getting 2k pounds of pop unloaded. These kids took care of it. I also had more special orders filled.

The poor lady was so wired up. She said one we left every one came in. She just wanted to go use the rest room.

I asked her why she didn't just lock the door and say back in 5 mins? This poor woman is so worried about loosing this job. She isn't going anyware if I can help it.

Good help. She just dosn't know it.

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

Hope the electrical inspector doesn't stop in for a cup of coffee.

5. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you think you'll sell Bar-b-que?

6. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Alot of the stores and resturant owners go to Sams Club several times a week for supplies.

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Truth is that small a place I don't see how you could afford to pay help.That was one reason my neighbor last his butt at the Local Store he was paying help instead of taking care of stuff his self.But they was handling Feed and Gas too.

What really got me is he had the Store for three years,sued the People he bought it off of,got all the money back he was out.That is one reason I won't have anything to do with this person.

big rockpile

8. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Location, location, location. There's a convienience store just outside town at the intersection of 2 main roads. The only such store. Donuts, soda, sandwiches, coffee. breakfast items. The place is swarming every morning, mid-day and late afternoon. And the traffic they get Firday and Sat nites,not to mention all weekend...... I'd like a piece of that business. They have 4 people on staff all the time just to keep up with business.

9. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking...

Good luck with the store though! It looks like you're off to a good start.

10. daytrader

They were strapped down today.

I ran those lines late intot he night. I didn't have the straps or tap cons. I got them in today.

11. daytrader

I do not see us hitting it big with this store. We will profit.

One reason this place works. No were else in this town to get the stuff. The close by towns are over priced.

We also have ALOT of commuters that just pass by to go work in Highland or go work at the base. From here tot he base 12 miles away. There is nothing to stop at for anything.

We also have alot of poor folks here. They can not afford to drive 3 miles to save 15 cents on 1 item. We also have alot of folks here that do not drive.

No lic, no car, dui or are old. Being able to walk here is a major asset to them.

We also have a link card machine comming in as well. That is very important to these folks.

The next town over. The gas station dosn't open till 7am.

Right now we are only using 1 hired hand. Between the wife, my mother and my self. We are able to keep alot of the labor cost down.

Our salaried handy man will also work here latter on. He worked at a busy gas station before and wants to close each night. So when we are not working him. He will work here.

12. daytrader

Also that is in conduit.

The code says they "prefer flexable conduit be attached to make it more stable". Not it has to be or a layed out plan were it has to be.

We put two on each line on the wall. Then in the roof area we spotted them down every 30"s.

13. daytrader

Also, isn't this odd.

No inspection for safty or occupancy is required for com property. The health inspector is a female dog. He pulls face plates off outlets checking for dust! He can care less what you do, but he is VERY into everything.

Every one HAS to have a record of their last TB shot on prem while they are employed. Hot dogs have to be stuck with a thermometer every 45 mins. He looks for the holes and the temp guage handy.

ANYTHING opened that is a consumable HAS TO BE DATED with day and time opened.

If we open a bag of foam plates. It has to be dated and time opened. ANYTHING in the stock fridge has to be trown out 72 hours latter. Dosn't matter if it is open or not.

If I place a can of UNOPENED soda in there. It will be thrown out on the 72 hour rule.It will have a date and time on it OR EVERY THING in that cooler is junk. A list of clean out times is on the cooler.

I fear the health inspector.

14. daytrader

Gravy was a hit agin today. Sold out. Fresh gravy made from powder with fresh farm raised gound pork for meat.

Tomarrow canned sausage and gravy. Then we will do the fresh gound pork Gravy for Sat morning.

I CAN NOT wait to see what this weekend will be like.

We are running in the red. On daily costs. The total investment keeps us down for a long time. My security system that is on a PLane right now was 6200 bucks. 6 cameras with panick buttons, much much more and GREAT service.

This monitoring service with chime in every so often to ask the cleark (they address the cleak by name) name how are ya doing? You have to answer. They will ask how is this or that selling selling. You answer back (changes daily). They will address the cleark one more time. The cleark then says thanks so and so we are fine. The off site monitoring service will even address regular customers. Like how is it going so and so. (Direct monitoring is spoken with 3 times a week for customer updates).

If the cleak gives the wrong name. COPS ARE ROLLING.

The lighted off button when pushed comes in with "system disarmed" The cops are rolling.

This is a very complex system with off site video recording and 24 hour monitoring fr video. We will also have on site video recording with 3 months of real time storage.

Panick buttons placed. Money taker buttons placed, even a tobacco switch. Screw with my tobacco and see what happens. Every pack is coded to a computer system. When a pack of cigs is sold. It will be scanned and then gone. If the wrong pack is sold. The cleark is notified with a off site agent asking them what is going on.

And of course you have the money switch. That give me all the money out of your register protector. I liked that. We get a new register that reads bar codes with a hand held scanner and is tied real time to the monitoring service.

Over all this is a great sytem. I have not let out anything not known out. Just the simple stuff. There is MUCH more. The donut guy will even have a time coded key. (the donut vendor turned us onto these folks).

The computer system that will manage this is both on side and off site.

Holds 340g. Every key that hits any lock is coded and time stamped with key mark made with user.

They can take the total security system and are still on camera and on tape with 3 months of real time coverage. I got a hell of a deal on this system.

With all the folks hanging around we need this.

15. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Awesome,Daytrader!Your store looks really similar to the place I eat breakfast and lunch at almost every day.If the food is good,and people feel comfortable there,you'll likely get a lot of "regulars".Congrats,and good luck.

16. daytrader

We made money today. The weekend is comming up. I hope it is a great as I think it will be.

I had to meet the milk guy 7 miles away. We ordered 24 choc milk pints we sold out 2 days. This was supposed to be a weeks worth. I met him for 36 more. All they had.

The bread guy came by. Interstates Brand (wonder bread). He said they will not deliver to us in two week because we will not be able to move 50 bucks a week in bread.

By the time he left we sold 30% of the bread he left. He spent some time showing me how to sell bread. The tricks these folks have. He then said you will sell out by the time I come back. I told him no crap. Why do ya think I was on with you boss all day? I sold out of bread. I didn't even have hot dog buns. I started the week with 12 dozen.

He ended up telling me.I will be back tomarrow to monitor the sales.

The chip guy from Frito lay. he loves it. He spent about a hour showing us the pop and turn of chips. That whole the bad looks bigger then the crap inside deal.

I NEVER thought 3.69 big bags of chips would sell here. I have one thing to say. They sure as hell do.I asked about the 99 cent big grab bags. He said nope. I can not sell them to you. I asked him about this. He said it is a volume bis. He said in two week HE IS SURE he can. He was shocked as well. He is placing chips in the shelf and folks are wanting them out of the box. The chip sales are funny. There is a sales gimmik to it. The work these guys put in on just the poppping and puffing. Its funny.