Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(In the spring I bought some seeds but didn't get around to using them.My question is, can I save them for this Spring? They are still sealed, never opened,there is a date on them of 2008. If I keep them dry and not cold or hot can I use them? Thanks for the help. Debi

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
They should be fine. I buy seeds at the end of fall to save...got them for two cents a package. I plant spinach, onions, mustard, collards in containers and they come up for use over the winter months.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The vast majority will be perfectly good - in fact properly stored seeds can last many years and retain acceptable viability/germination rates. However, there are one or two things that really do need fresh seed each year - as the germination rate drops off a cliff in a very short time frame. Parsnips are an example.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
The date on seed packages is more of a marketing thing than a measure of their viability. (Dating the packages is now law.)

Keep them cool and dry, and they will be fine (exceptions as noted by another poster). I think I just got rid of my oldest seeds this season -- they were almost 20 years old and germinated just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts