Store bought egg rotten - yuck

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Anita in NC, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

I was making eggs for lunch and cracked one and it exploded. Yucky green rotten egg, stunk up my kitchen and made a big mess.

The eggs were a couple of weeks past the best buy date but still. They have been refridgerated.

Now I'm really put off buying any more store bought eggs.

I tested the rest by putting them in water and the rest in the carton all sunk to the bottom so they should be okay but I think I'll feed them to the dog.

2. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

a couple weeks past means they were 3 months old.

3. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

I wonder why only 1 of the 18 eggs was rotten?

I know that store bought eggs are already pretty old by the time you get them.

I miss all my chickens and fresh eggs.

4. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

Remember that every day customers open the egg cartons and switch eggs around so they can get the biggest eggs. That bad egg might have been almost at it's "sell by" date when someone opened a carton of eggs and switched that one to the carton you bought.

5. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I bet that was nasty! I just got our first egg from our hen...she's not gonna lay much as she is older, but I did order chicks not too long ago. They'll be here before too long and we'll have yummy fresh eggs!

6. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Have you seen those news magazines exposés where they have caught them repacking the eggs? Some of the supermarket eggs are really OLD.

7. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ick, I can't stomach store eggs anymore. Told hubby I REFUSE to move somewhere we can't have chickens ever again. Blech.

8. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

I have my own chickens, and am surprised at how long I have to keep the eggs before they absorb enough air to be like ones bought at the store. Mine go from coop to fridge, but I've had them 5 -6 weeks old and they still seem fresher than store bought.

I doubt it is from age, I think during the transportation process, they just sit around warm too long.

Cathy

9. PinkBat

PinkBat Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with store bought eggs, but I definitely would not try to use them past their expiration date.

10. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

Anita have you thought about trying to find someone locally who has farm fresh eggs? After owning chickens and eating their eggs, I'll never go back to store-bought eggs again. I like knowing that mine are well treated and healthy, and eating well.