...."Store Bought" coffee..!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Jan 4, 2005.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............OK , we've had several threads about Coffee , but I'm wondering , Specifically what brands do You'll BUY at the Grocery ??

...........I buy 100% Colombian at Wal-Mart in the Folgers Can . They also sell a no name brand but it , just isn't quite as Good as Folgers . My next big step will be to start cooking and grinding my own beans , but I'm not quite ready to initiate Yet , fordy... :) :eek:

2. Critter183

Critter183 Well-Known Member

Ditto on the folgers columbian, but only cuz it always seems to be on sale. :)

I'll drink almost anything really. but...

My all time favorite is Hawaiian Kona(sp?) medium roasted, fresh. Had a friend that owned a gourmet coffee shop who would special roast it for me. Out of this world! Too bad he's out of business now. :(

I hate dark/french roasts. They use the worst beans and burn em to hide the poor quality.

3. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Hey Fordy, greetings from AZ. I buy Yuban for two reasons. I like the flavor and I use 25% less to make a pot of coffee. Instead of the two scoops of other brands I use 1-1/2 scoops of Yuban. Been working for us for a while now.

4. deedler

deedler Well-Known Member

For some reason, it goes against my grain to buy Folger's.I usually buy Maxwell House 100% Columbian unless I'm broke, then it's GreatValue brand.

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

My dad kept telling me how good it taste if you grind it your self.I thought yea right,i smoke three packs of cigs a day i cant taste the difference anyway. :D
    But he was right.I finally gave in a bought a grinder.Humph ill never buy pre ground again. ;)
    You actually get a touch more coffee for the money.The only draw back is ill bet you start liking it stronger and stronger.Bought some (pre) ground 100percent Folgers a few months ago.And it was way to weak for my taste,(like hot water,and you cant even double up on it to make it taste better).I use the Folgers 100percent Columbian from time to time but i grind it myself and into powder form,which makes it even stronger.One thing you'll quickly notice is every time you go back to the store to buy a bag it will taste different.(every little change makes a difference in taste when you grind it yourself.Season/where the bean came from/how long it was roasted/and how old it is.) I also like the 8oclock coffee in 100 percent Columbian.But it is much stronger than Folgers.
    I dont like the darker roast.Cause they tend to be bitter.
    I just use one of the Mr coffee cheap grinders.They work great.

Hopefully I'm going to start roasting my own beans soon!And If i thought i could grow them in my back yard,id even go that far.The fresher the better! You can sure taste it. ;)
    On second thought don't start grinding your own! Freshness is addictive!

7. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

if this is thread drift, sorry.

how is instant coffee made?

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm with Insanity... we use Green Mountain Coffee Roaster's whole bean coffee at the rate of about a bag a week, run through our little grinder, and it is painful to drink other coffees now. In fact, I'll go out of my way to find GMCR if I'm on the road.

Life is WAY too short to drink bad coffee!

But Dunkin Donuts actually has a good fresh whole bean coffee for sale these days. I'm impressed. You have to run in, inhale the donut smell, buy and run out so you don't wreck your diet, but with willpower it can be done!

9. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I buy Starbucks at Bj's Wholesale 2lbs. for $16.00. Recently tried Millstone 2lbs. for $10. It was good, but i'm going to buy starbucks next time. I also buy it in whole bean form. Four years ago we bought a new coffeemaker that has a grinder attached (it has burr grinders) - worth the $$ and the better coffee is too.

For years we bought Green Mountain Coffee and I still love it and may go back to that. To save on the shipping i would buy what i would need for 6 weeks at a time and vacuum pack it and freeze it. Always tasted good.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I buy whole beans, ususally Starbucks if I can get it in Yukon Blend.
    Columbian also in whole bean.

11. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

We drink nothing but Blue Moutain coffee from Jamaica. The crap they sell in Starbucks and the like that claim to be Blue Mountain are NOT the real thing. They are selling Arabica (sp?) with flavoring.

Kim in MI

12. tkrabec

tkrabec Well-Known Member

I love Yuban it is awesome, rich, flavourful, dark, smells good.

-- Tim

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Does Yuban make a Colombian flavor of ground of coffee ? I can see that I'm going to have to visit some stores , Other than Wal-Mart's coffee section . fordy.. :)

14. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

LOL.

My father, a man not known for a gourmand's palet, was having dinner with some new friends of my mother's and they served Folgers. Now, my father comes from a long line of "if the spoon doesn't disolve on contact it probably isn't strong enough" coffee drinkers. But he actually spewed coffee over the porch rail he was so shocked by the flavor. He appologized all over himself afterwards (and it made for some fun holidays as people gifted him with tons of cheap coffee products... which were re-gifted to the food shelf) but some of this stuff is just awful.

And I agree... if you don't like the taste of coffee unless it is doctored, flavored, sugared, or drowing in cream... you probably don't like the taste of coffee. Why pay for it? Switch to tea. There's some great stuff on the market these days.

15. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Here in the Northwest, coffee is serious business. I buy Peet's coffee, Major Dickison's blend. Spendy, but GOOD. (Yes, I know Idaho doesn't really sound like the NW, but we are right by the WA border..espresso stands on every corner)

16. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Amen!

Dh and I drink a locally roasted (Duluth MN) brand, Alakef. They only buy shade grown, organic beans. The Sumatran blend is my favorite. There is another local coffee roaster, Arco, that is WORSE than Folger's, if you can imagine such a thing. Palest brown beans I'd ever seen, tasted like sawdust.

17. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I've had Peet's and it IS good. Count me in as finding Folger's icky...Maxwell House and the others too.

For $10 you can get a grinder (electric). This will open up a whole new world to you. Short of following the directions in the other thread about roasting your own, you'll be happy if you find a locally available blend you like.

I used to get beans from a local coffee shop, but it has changed hands 4 times and quality and friendliness are lacking much now.

So I buy what I can find. 8 O'clock is tasty and affordable. A friend gifted me with Black Cat from Intelligentsia Coffee Roasters in Chicago Intelligentsia Coffee and is it tasty. Sometimes I pick up the Organic brands at the co-op.

But since you asked what I buy at the grocer's, today I picked up a Starbuck's 12 ounce package of Verona Decaf (never tried it before) for $6.99 at the grocer's. I usually buy it when it is on sale like this and get the Gold Coast, Espresso or Sumatra.

I have been so spoiled that I don't usually drink coffee out unless it is a coffee shop. Otherwise I end up paying for something I don't enjoy or even drink.

And, yeah, I drink it black.

18. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I buy Chock Full o Nuts which used to be an old A&P brand when I can find it but not many places carry it anymore. I dont drink a lot of coffee anyway.

DEB and AL: Instant coffee was first mass produced from the invention of George Constant Washington, an English chemist living in Guatemala. While waiting for his wife one day to join him outside for coffee, he observed on the spout of the silver coffee urn, a fine powder, which looked to be the condensation of the coffee vapors. This excited him and led to his founding of soluble coffee.

In 1906 he started experiments and put his invention, Red E Coffee, in the markets in 1909. Nestle', in 1938, trying to aid Brazil with their coffee surpluses created freeze-dried coffee. Nescafe was started and first introduced into Switzerland. Instant coffee became a fad after 1956 when commercial television was the new craze. http://www.articlecity.com/articles/food_and_drink/article_322.shtml

19. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

If HEB is out your way, the Hillcountry Fare label is pretty good.

20. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy Starbucks whole bean and grind it myself. I have bought Millstone Kona Blend and the family like that too. Personally, I'm a tea person so don't drink coffee at all.