store-bought chicken

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Deb&Al, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

i just got a countertop toaster oven, the really big kind, and it has a rotisere (sp), too.

well, all my freezer chicken from last fall's butchering has been used up, and all i have left is the chicken i canned. so, i stopped at the grocery store and bought two chickens because i really wanted to try the rotissere (sp).

YUCHHYYYY..... :(

as soon as i took it out of the package i could tell it wasn't like our home grown, as it was so floppy and mushy. to tell you the truth, it kind of felt like a chicken that had died in the woodpile, and when i lifted it out it was very mushy from starting to decompose, you know, where the meat feels like canatlope, you can just push you finger right into it.

after putting the chicken on the skewers i realized that i didn't have the stringy stuff to hold the legs close to the body, so that they would be flopping around when the rotiseri started. back to square one.

i decided to cut up the chicken and just put the breasts on, end to end, and with the skewers on each end, it would hold them in place and they would rotate without slipping.

i cut up those two chickens, and let me tell you, there is no comparison to chickens that have been raised naturally. these poor things i bought must have lived in a cage with no ability to walk or run. their meat had absolutely no "tone" to it at all, like the muscles had never been used. my stomach actually felt flip-floppy.

as for the breasts on the rotiseri, they cooked well, and i had used some spices and olive oil and butter to baste them with a couple of times as they cooked. but the meat, shall we say, did not have a good texture, even though it was fully cooked.

we have raise our own poultry for several years now, and i don't eat any grocery-store bought meat at all, and haqven't for the same amount of time. this was truely an eye-opener. it's amazing how you can tell the difference when you are used to eating meat that's been raised the way it should be.

as far as the flip-floppy stomach...i have never felt that way when cutting up our own chickens, even when doing the butchering part. now, it's not something that i enjoy, but i've never had any quesiness, not like these two store-bought chickens.

oh, well, i guess there's no rotisseri chicken until i get my spring order in and then maybe by june/july. :)

debbie

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Looks like you should maybe order a few more this year than last huh? I agree, when we run out of our home grown meat, buying from the grocery store is a last resort, sometimes I feel like turning vegetarian for a while till the homegrown stuff is ready.

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

My DD did a 4-H project on factory farming. Live is a cage, you bet. Those chickens live their lives, 8 to a cage the size of a microwave. Can you image 6 cows in the average sized bedroom (new houses with 10 x 10, not old olds were the rooms are 15, 16 feet square). The conditions are horrible. With chickens, the baby roosters are tossed in a grinder at birth and that ground meat is then fed back to the chickens. We haven't butchered out broilers yet. Where we had been boarding our animals, she wouldn't let us butcher them there because she thought it was cruelty to animals. My chickens run free everyday, get good quality food, fresh water, and loved on by 3 pretty girls eveyday. Cruelty is what commercial growers do to supply the markets with cheap, low quality food. Then they wonder why people are so sick these days. It's because the food is garbage. Garbage in, garbage out.

4. Breezie

Breezie Active Member

I wish there were more local farms out there. There are some here that raise free-range chickens and beef and pork. But, every time I call to see if I can get any meat, they always tell me that everything is bought up. Some places for the next 2-3 years! :waa: No eggs or anything!

I despise having to feed my family grocery store meat of any kind, but unless more farmers are able to expand, I'm afraid that poison is all we're ever going to have. One farmer I talked to-and he was the nicest guy-said that all of the decent cattle stock had been bought out by the commercial farms in order to keep small, 'orgainic' style operations from getting new breeding stock. He said he just can't breed his cattle fast enough for the demand he has for his beef. I don't think I'll ever get a chance to buy decent, clean meat. :no:

5. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

I feel lucky I live in an area were it is easy to buy local, organic meat. It's expensive, about 3 times what the factory farms charge, but it's worth it. You can start by asking you local markets to carry some organic meat or see if there is a food co-op or health food store nearby. My first choice is always to buy directly from the small farmer- and yes, you do have to plan ahead and place an order.

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Laugh if you wish. My DD raises organic chickens and my DH, Roger, doesn't like the taste of them. He says it is too strong.