storage ideas for nuts, bolts, screws, etc?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Chixarecute, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Chixarecute

Chixarecute Well-Known Member Supporter

Hope someone out there has some great ideas...I would like to build a handy storage system (or 2) for all of hubby's nuts, bolts, screws, nails, etc. He's a former farmer, so there's a lot!

I have access to rough cut lumber & a power tools, 3# coffee cans, 18 oz peanut butter jars, etc. Am wondering about putting the metal fasteners in metal containers...which will be in an unheated northern WI shop. (rust?) Would wood bins be better?

I would also like to mount the unit on heavy duty castors, as while we have the shop exterior, the interior is not done yet, & I want this to be as easy to move around as possible. I was thinking about kind of a kitchen island idea, so the top could be work space.

Your ideas & comments appreciated!

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    One handy thing I have seen around for a long time is to take same size glass jars, attach their lids to the underside of an appropiate area, fill with sorted whatevers, arranged by size, length, ect. Unscrew the jar when such is needed, reattach when done. The items allows a visual inventory, storage, immediant availabity, weather proof storage, ect.

3. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Another idea would be to take empty quart oil containters, cut them to the suitable height, then label the end, then put on the shelf. I got this idea from a homesteading book, but the author/title escape me at the moment.

4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

I've tried a number of home made storage container techniques over the years. Most of them didn't work out too well. Glass jars with the lids screwed to the ceiling, it's ok until you drop one and spend an hour sweeping up glass shards. Oil jugs take forever to wipe clean of oil, and warp nicely in use. Most all of these things are too small for me as well.

The best home made thing I've found so far is used milk jugs of the gallon size. Cut an opening in them at the top to get into them. Leave the handle on for carrying. They hold a lot and survive. I've got probably a dozen of them holding different things. For sorting bolts by size I punched various sized holes in the handles of them to size the bolts. That works well enough for me.

I also broke down and bought cardboard storage bins from McMaster Carr. Those last many years and work well. I don't use them for nuts and bolts, mostly because I have too many. But I store zillions of other categories of things in them. Plumbing fittings, electrical bits, etc.