Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Try Me
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally, I don't mind thumb sucking in babies. It's natural and I have yet too see any dental malformities from it as some old wives tales predict. However, I've come upon a new problem. My 21 mnth old DD has sucked a huge blister onto the back of her thumb. The blister itself is as big or bigger than her thumb. It is also sort of hard feeling (like a blood blister ).
So we are trying to keep the baby from sucking her thumb. Not easy. We've tried band aids, but she nimbally removes within minutes. I've heard about using tobasco sauce, but that girl loves even the hottest of salsa's. Therefor, I don't think it would faze her.
Anybody know of any other ways to stop her from sucking her thumb?

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
I tried socks, large bandages, tabasco, the medicine to paint on, reminding them every 2 minutes, it wasn't until they turned 5 that anything worked.

Maybe someone else will have an idea.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It May Be Too Late For Your Child, But What Doesnt Work Is Nagging Them. Saw The End Results With My Sister. Oour Lives Were Obsessed By Parents Trying Every Trick That Was Legal......even To Teens.. Rebelling To The End, She Sucked Herself Into Buck Teeth. As An Adult, She Had To Pay For The Braces Herself.

Decided With My Kids I Would Not Nag. Did Not Nag. All Three Of Them Went Thru A Stage Of Thumb Sucking And Got Over It All By Themself.

Sorry To Hear About Her Thumb. Hope It Heals Soon. Hope You Find A Realistic Solution That Works For You.

Mum

·
Registered
334 Posts
There is a very bitter nail polish that my parents used on my sister (because she was still sucking hers at 10yo). It taste horrible. Ask the pharmacist.

Sarah

·
Registered
514 Posts
My middle child, DD17, sucked her thumb as a baby, toddler and up until she went to school. Once when she was very sick she sucked on her thumb so much that it was swolen in the shape of a light bulb. That scared the begeebers out of me. It was probably the size of a small light bulb - appliance size maybe. It went down in a day or two, and yes she had blisters, and even a caloused (sp) area. She stopped when she was ready. I would think that if the blister hurt at all she would stop sucking her thumb on her own ????

Anne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts