stoneware crocks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Buckrun, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

Does anybody still make them? I have been searching the internet but can only find the old collectable ones. I want one I can use to make come craut or pickles.

I have a 6, 2, and a couple 1 gallon crocks. But I want to get one that holds between 12 and 25 gallons. I really don't want to have to spend hundreds of dollars.

Steve

2. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been searching for 10-25 gallon with no luck:(... aside from antiques.
    I think i'll be doing my sauerkraut in plastic buckets with food grade plastic bags.

3. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

There's a restaurant supply store over in Idaho Falls that sells them. I've seen some big ones, but never checked prices.

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

5. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Do you know anyone locally who does pottery? A crock is a really easy item to make on a wheel and stoneware clay is cheap. You could have one custom thrown and fired to meet your requirements.

6. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

That company in Ohio that makes the ones with the blue crown in the side is still in businesss. I believe Lehman's sells them. I don't buy from Lehman's though. Their prices are just too darn high. For example, they want $30 for the 2 gal. crock plus $8 for shipping. My Meijer's store sell for $20. $15 for a case of quart canning jars (plus $6 shipping). Local store: $7.95

7. dave_p

dave_p quocunque jeceris stabit

There's a big pottery in Marshall, Texas that makes them. That's all I have tho. dp

8. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

After reading your post I started on a crock finding mission. Amazingly enough, finding a crock over a 1 gallon size online wasn't all that easy. Here's what I did find:

5 gallon for $44.95
    http://zanesvillepottery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=38

This is the only one I found with a 10 gallon crock
    http://www.creflections.com/cgi-bin...efault&view_records_crocks=1&Type_Crock=Plain

This is the top of the line kraut fermenting crock. $$ but looks like it would be great to use.
    http://www.wisementrading.com/foodpreserving/harsch_crocks.htm

9. whitewolf

whitewolf Well-Known Member

Buckrun, I don't know where you are located, but you might want to try and check some of the small hometown hardware stores. There is one in the town next to us that sells them......they are not cheap.....but are cheaper than Lehman's. And they ARE NOT as thick and heavy as my OLD ones are, but that's progress for you. This little hardware store handles alot of stuff you wouldn't ordinarily find.....say at
    WalMart. Ask around, you might be surprised WHO handles stuff like that. I know alot of people in my area don't realize this place handles it.

Whitewolf

10. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Posted a link but it looks like it's out of service.

robinson ransbottom was the name of the company..
    Don't know what happened, they were wholesale and very reasonable.

11. primal1

thanks for all the links people... wow they do get pricy... I am starting to think gryndlgoat is on the right track! I will price pottery classes and then make my own.:)

12. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

Hey I'm Rexburg, do you have a number for them or and address?

By the way I am a potter and would be more than happy to make anyone crocks.

13. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Now, let's talk $'s here. Shipping and your cost to make them 1-2-5 gallon sizes. Oh, and if you can, lids to cover them. Oh, and location for those close enough to pick them up rather than shipping.

14. primal1

hehe sweet! prices for 10-15 gal, including shipping to Quebec but maybe a 5gal if shipping is nuts... with lid!(good call Farmer Willy) :)

15. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

Rush's kitchen supply.... 345 Lindsay

Take I-15 Broadway exit east, then a left on Lindsay, which is just before the river.

Dave in Driggs

16. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Show off. My IDFalls phone book is in the truck and I was just about to go get it. Yep, that's the place.

17. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

Took a couple of cooking classes there...

18. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

Well I just ordered a 10 gal. $122.00 ouch but not bad if I take care of it and can use it for the next 20 years and pass it on to my kids.

Hope my daughter takes to the gardening. So far she is the only one that shows any intrest. We are going to enter some produce in the fair this year. I entered a few things last year and one some ribbons. That really got peaked her intrest in it.

I will let you all know how the crock looks when I get it.

Thanks for the help
    Steve

19. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen new crocks (I thnk the ones from Ohio or Pennsylvania) at Frank's Hardware and Jung Seeds Garden Center in Stevens Point, WI, and in some other hardware store in western Wisconsin. I had asked about them some years ago, and the stores usually order a truck load or part load of them for spring delivery. That way they save on freight; if they had to be shipped UPS or some other means they would be too expensive to sell. The stores don't want to ship them either, but the prices weren't bad if you could pick them up--sorry, I don't recall the prices this spring.

20. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter