stone quarry

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by boxwoods, May 20, 2005.

1. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Finally got guys cutting stone off the mountain I bought last fall.

[​IMG]

2. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

That's nice looking stone!

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

should be nice profit in that looks like some great stone

4. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that quarry of yours just yesterday. I know that's a strange thing to be daydreaming about, but I'm researching sites in Arkansas to scavenge stone from, and thought about those pictures of the quarry you'd posted.

Not to be too nosy, but are those 12x12? look thicker than the slate you get commercially. Are they cutting the stone for you, on shares (halves?), or for theirselves, paying you a royalty? If your having it cut for yourself, what kind of rates are you paying..................

What kind of equipment are they using? or is the stone being handsplit? and squared with a diamond saw or some such?

Congratulations....I'd love to be in an area with a long lasting stone like what you've got....I've got stone, but you find it only accidentally, when you happen to be digging around with a D6 dozer (which of course, is very rarely) and the stone is soft......again, congrats, and please post pics in your final installations....

phil

5. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

I think those are 2x2's, one pallet worth about $500. They are cutting the stone for resale, of which I get a percentage. They saw with diamond blade and then pop them up with a skid-steer in blocks about 8" thick and then use air to seperate them. Cutter has said he can put out between 20 to 30 pallets a week like that.
    So far so good :)