Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Its been cold here. Too cold for the Stone House.
http://babasfarmlife.blogspot.com/
:) Get used to it.... Stone house can be a bear to heat.. Ours is over 250 yo with 20 inch thick wall and there is no heating system in it other then a coal stove and kero heaters..

As a general rule that we've found;

If it is 80 out side it is 60 inside the stone, if it is 40 outside it is 20 inside unless there is some type of heat....
Now once you heat it up it tends to stay warm, but you have to continue to heat it...

Don't get me wrong we love this old house, but it can be hard to heat at times and the old windows need to be covered with plastic during the winter...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't mind the 80-60 temp. Its just the cold. I'll have Hubby study how we can stay warm in the winter in the Stone House. Now is a good time to find out the best way to heat it in the winter. Thanks for the heads up on that.

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
I bet it will be toasty when you get it properly insulated, good windows and that great old stove in it.

I understand about not wanting to go when it is so cold. I am getting arthritis in my hands, and when it gets too cold, they hurt, and I start to lose some of the function. So make sure you and DH bundle up, and take a thermos of something hot to drink. Cocoa, coffee, tea, whatever.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear you on the arthritis Tator! I start hurting too. I need to get a good stainless steel thermos for those days because I drink coffee round the clock!

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
having had snow a few times here already, and COLD...I wondered how it looked sooo sunny and warm at the stone house. we remember all tooooo well working during the cold winters. hope it warms up enough for you to continue on your adventure. :)

now...IF ONLY that woodstove was already at the stone house!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually we have had sunny weather here until the past week or so. Now, it just plain freezing and snow on the ground. They say in Colorado just wait five minutes and the weather will change. And it's true.

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
That kerosene heater sounds like o great idea! And it is something your will use in the future too. Didn't you say your hubby would use one of the metal structures as a shed in the future? He will need that in there for every future bout of cold weather!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
In castles the wall would be covered in tapestries and drapes to help w. the cold. Is there any way to string wire and put drapes on the walls?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow stringing wires. I think I might include that in the design. I love the idea of hanging a carpet for warmth or a tapestry. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Properly insulated on the outside of the thermal mass makes a stone house a joy to heat because it soaks up the warmth and stays on an even keel. Our cottage stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter. We have about 100,000 lbs of thermal mass inside the insulating envelope which is about 4" of closed cell foam. It is soooo much better than our old (200+ years) farm house which is timber frame and very expensive to heat.

Cheers,

-Walter

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Properly insulated on the outside of the thermal mass makes a stone house a joy to heat because it soaks up the warmth and stays on an even keel. Our cottage stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter. We have about 100,000 lbs of thermal mass inside the insulating envelope which is about 4" of closed cell foam. It is soooo much better than our old (200+ years) farm house which is timber frame and very expensive to heat.

Cheers,

-Walter
Yea, I wish!!

We can't change the outside of our home because of it's Historic nature. So we are limited in some ways what we can and can't do... Our home was owned at one point in time by James Smith the only person from York County PA to sign the Declaration of Independence...

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
Yea, I wish!!

We can't change the outside of our home because of it's Historic nature. So we are limited in some ways what we can and can't do... Our home was owned at one point in time by James Smith the only person from York County PA to sign the Declaration of Independence...
That is sooooooo cool!

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Yea, I wish!! We can't change the outside of our home because of it's Historic nature. So we are limited in some ways what we can and can't do...
That makes it difficult... Hmm... I guess that leaves insulating on the inside. The stone walls will still help some to temper the weather but not nearly as much as if they were inside the insulating envelope.

On our house, which we built (building) from scratch we put the main thermal mass inside, then the insulating envelope then a thinner layer of masonry outside to protect the insulation. It is adobe (sand concrete+fiber) with field stones drawn in with our fingers and roughed up. Fools people even up close. :) Eventually we'll put a real stone wall outside.

Your situation is why I finally abandoned fixing up our old farm house. It is historic, in that it is the oldest building in the area, but a bear to heat and maintain. Someone else can have it, if they move it.

Our home was owned at one point in time by James Smith the only person from York County PA to sign the Declaration of Independence...
Cool, (I think) I'm related to him. :) Small world.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
the wood stove went in first before the furnace and that was our only heat while building. Then we moved and the house was not finished and we put quilts on some of the walls. It looked pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
We live in a stone house in Ontario, Canada. The wind blows through between the stones. The first winter we lived here, I went around with a caulking gun every time the wind direction changed. I sealed up all the air leaks so there were no more drafts. We also made the windows draft tight. Our heating oil costs were half that of the previous owner.

·
Dallas
13,903 Posts
They say in Colorado just wait five minutes and the weather will change. And it's true.
They say that everywhere I've lived except here in Texas during the summer (hot and dry - all day every day)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts