Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
My hubby and I cut our own wood. There is a lot of oil field in this area, and that is what my hubby does (create roads to oil leases with our grader). So when he works he often sees large piles of trees pushed up. We jump in the truck and pull the trailer there, he chainsaws while I pitch it in the trailer and home we go!!
Our trailer is hydrolic lift, s it dumps out the bucked up wood, then huppy chops it a load at a time. We hope to actually get a years supply put into a shed when we get our place. Have 2 old sheds that we will fill with wood, using one first, then the other, while filling up the empty one. That way we always have seasoned dry wood... not burning green stuff like now!! LOL

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I cut it myself. Heating with wood really isn't worth it in my opinion if you are going to buy all your firewood. Helps to have a large wooded property to cut from, of course, or permission to cut somewhere else.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
Our challenge is to find wood to cut that is close to home but my husband just scouts out the farms around us. It used to be my husband & me on the weekends even with baby in the carseat. Wow, time does fly...now it's son & husband. Son will soon be 21 and when he gets out of college & moves out...I'll be back to hauling the wood!!!

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
For the last two years I cut my own. Before that I bought it by the pickup load. I have a hydraulic splitter so why pay somebody else to cut wood for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts