Stomach virus misery

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by TnMtngirl, Jan 22, 2007.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Got ready for church yesterday,then it hit me the stomach virus.DS had it a few days earlier,was in bed for 2 days.The grandchildren are coming up thurs to spend 4 days.I am so afraid they will come down with this,its really hard on a grownup,I cannot imagine what it would do to little kids.
    When I get able to I will have to clean the house and disenfect everything.Have been using Lysol spray,have read this virus an withstand temps up to 140.
    Any ideas on how to get rid of this?

2. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Wow - you caught a bad one. I hope you get over it quickly.

Bleach everything you can.

/VM

ETA: Remember to disinfect doorknobs, the phone, remote control, fridge handles, etc. And don't forget to disinfect or replace your toothbrush!

3. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

One thing you should remember...when using a disenfectant ( any will basically work) make sure you have the right dilution rate for instance for bleach...then use a ice cream pale or bucket with the mixture , clean rags, and wipe the surface and THEN you have to let it air dry to kill the germs. many people wipe the cleaner on , then "dry" it with another towel...making it completely ineffective. Make sure you get all the door knobs, phones, and other surfaces especially those in the bathroom.

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Also, fortify your children and yourself with probiotics from the health food store---you don't need the forty dollar bottle, the 8 dollar bottle will do. Also kimchi is very effective against viruses in the intestinal tract. Kefir will help, i you can get some.

5. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the tips,I have been using bleach in the dish water,spraying Lysol on knobs and handles.I did buy several tooth brushes a while back.I willl clean out the refrigator to and wash the bedding,I,m thinking we should get new pillows too.
    It was the sickest I have ever been, out of my head fever,chills,pain in hips and back,nausea.Thank heaven it only lasts 24 hrs.DS and I have drank about 4 gallons of gatorade.

6. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

You can Lysol your pillows too, or wash them (they may come out a bit lumpy if you use the machine, and they'll take a long time to dry no matter what you try).

When we have nasty sickness, I do all dishes in the dishwasher, wipe down the counters with soapy water (soap, regular soap, does in most types of bugs) and do an extra cleaning in the bathroom sink. Wash the bedding, put the pillows outdoors to air if I can, and air out the house. That usually does a good enough job.

At Christmas, five of my coworkers came down with the same cold type bug - and we'd not seen each other for ten days. We got sick at the same time, had the same symptoms, got better at the same time - so we had the same thing, but picked up completely independently of one another. So, even if the kidlets do come down with the flu, don't be too quick to assume they got it from you. By the time you are recovered you probably aren't contagious anymore, and a fairly thorough basic style of cleanup oughta get most of the remainders.

Fresh air is the best cleanser, well, in addition to bleach!

7. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

OMG I hate this stuff, and we generally get it about once a year. We managed to skip last year somehow, knock on wood! It terrifies me because WOW does it feel horrible. Actually my kids both got a mild version of it a couple weeks ago, but we parents were somehow spared. I stocked up on Jello and ginger ale just in case!

I haven't figured out how to keep it from spreading in families. Even if we disinfect everything, we're still helping each other and in contact, so we're doomed. :) We just pray hard that the sickness is staggered so we're not all sick at the same time.

As far as cleaning goes -- I like bleach and vinegar (no, not together, first one then the other :)) but I am also a big fan of pine-sol.

When I am recovering, the food that makes me feel better the quickest is tomato soup. The rest of my family swears by the healing properties of Jello...but yuck! I never could stand it.