Stocking Up throughout the year

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Charleen, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

This was posted on another list, darned if I can remember where, it might even have been on here. Most of the time, this shopping schedule is true, but you may find different trends, things are off a week here or there. Since it is almost the end of the year, it is time to think about next year.

What to buy on a weekly basis to build up your food storage over the year

Week 1 Nuts--get them on sale after Christmas. Drug stores are often a good source. Dry roasted keep best. Freeze bagged ones. 21 lbs. per person
    Week 2 Detergents, Bleaches, Cleansers. Bleach 1 gal per person,
    Laundry soap, 20 lbs per person.

Week 3 Medicine Chest: feminine products, Pepto bismol, cough syrup, Tylenol, Calamine lotion, Kaopectate, Ipecac, sun screen, etc. Dispose of all outdated medications

Week 4 Canned meats: Tuna, Spam, Dried Beef

Week 5 First Aid supplies: Band aids, antibiotic ointment, Ace
    bandages, steri-strips, etc.

Week 6 Fill your water jugs

Week 7 Peanut butter 10 lbs per person

Week 8 Solid vegetable shortening lbs. per person

Week 9 Juices. Avoid watered products. Get 100% juice.

Week 10 Toothpaste, floss, razors, shaving cream

Week 11 Mixes, cake, pancake, muffin, etc. Purchase or make your own. counts for part of grain requirement. you need an annual total of 300 lbs of grain products per person.

Week 12 Spices and herbs---look for bargains at health food stores or ethnic food stores.

Week 13 Rice buy 10, 15, or 20 pounds. Counts toward grain total

Week 14 More First Aid: gauze patches, swabs. cotton balls, tape,
    etc.

Week 15 Pasta. Select a variety. Counts toward grain total

Week 16 Dry Milk. 100 lbs per person per year

Week 17 - Assemble emergency sewing kit: thread, pins, needles,
    buttons, snaps, zippers, tape measure, scissors.

Week 18 - Flour. Consider your families needs. 50 lbs per person?
    counts toward grain

Week 19 - Dry or canned soup

Week 20 - Gelatin or Pudding mixes

Week 21 - Buy garden seeds locally, if you haven't mail ordered them.
    Get only what you will plant and eat. Also consider what you can
    preserve and eat.

Week 22 - More Flour! 50 lbs per person total.. counts toward grains

Week 23 - Cord, twine or light rope. Flashlights and batteries.

Week 24 - Freeze cheese. Grate and freeze for casseroles or soups.

Week 25 - Paper towels, aluminum foil, garbage bags. freezer bags,
    etc.

Week 26 - Vinegars: If you make pickles, have several gallons on hand

Week 27 - Condiments: mustard, mayo, relish, Worcestershire

Week 28 - Jams and jellies. Buy what you will not make yourself.

Week 29 - Canned goods. Buy what you eat. veggies: lbs. per person,
    fruits,: 80 quarts per person

Week 30 - Canned milk Check Dec 1989 Ensign for use Ideas

Week 31 - Back to school supplies and office supplies

Week 32 - Baking powder, soda, cornstarch. Baking soda 2 lbs per
    person, soda albs per

Week 33 - Tomatoes juice, sauce, whole or paste. Buy it or make it.
    part of veggies

Week 34 - Canned Fruit, buy or can 80 quarts per person

Week 35 - More canned fruits and veggies 150 total per person per
    year

Week 36 - Buy an extra 25 pounds of sugar 100lbs per person total

Week 37 - Can or freeze veggies from garden or fresh purchased, or
    buy more canned 150 lbs per person per year

Week 38 - Dried beans, peas. 100 lbs per person

Week 39 - Sweeteners. Honey, Molasses, etc. counts toward sugars

Week 40 - Iodized Salt. Ten or more containers. For canning use, get
    canning salt.

Week 41 - Personal products: soap, deodorant, toilet paper, shampoo,
    etc. Hand soap, 15 per person, TP: one roll per week

Week 42 - Canned soups: counts toward veggies

Week 43 - Can something with apples.

Week 44 - Hard candy for Halloween. Leftovers will make a good
    addition to your 72 hour emergency kit.

Week 45 - Vitamins. Get some extra C and Calcium. 365 vitamins per
    person.

Week 46 - Treats for baking: Cocoa, coconut, nuts, chocolate chips,
    etc

Week 47 - Rolled oats, corn meal, cream of wheat...Part of grains

Week 48 - Sugars, brown, white, powdered. counts toward 100lbs per
    person total

Week 49 - Vegetable and olive oils. Get a good quality. 12 lbs. per
    person

Week 50 - Candles and matches. Put in a cool place and in a sturdy box
    (preferably fireproof) that you can locate in the dark.

Week 51 - Popcorn. Go for the big bags. Counts toward grains

Week 52 - Merry Christmas. Give yourself a great gift--security for
    an extended period.

2. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Probably would pay a lot more dividends than a Christmas club. I like to keep a small amount of cash on hand and shop for bargains. Some things are seasonally cheaper, and some are just on sale sometimes. :cool:

3. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

We're in the process of "rebuilding" our storage supply. If able, I encourage everyone to have a back-up supply that would last, at minimum, a few months -- it can be a life saver! By being frugal & stocking up when things are on sale, it's easier than you'd think to get that stockpile! I've been grateful on a few occasions for my planning! Other than buying on sale when possible, the best thing I've learned on the subject is to "store what you eat (use) & eat (use) what you store"...

4. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

We have been shopping at the resturant supply store to stock our pantry. We just bought 50 pounds of brown rice for $13. Quite the savings compared to the one pound bags at the regular store.
    We also found a feed store that sales 25 pound bags of beans for $10- $12.
    I bought a commercial/home vacuum sealer to seal bulk items using canning jars, It also works with glass mayo jars and used canning jars lids as long as they are in good shape.
    Our local thrift store gives any one who can use them the mayo jars for free.

5. That's a good list there Charleen, but I didn't see ammo or fishing supplies on it anywhere!!!!

A tip that I could add to that is if you are one of the lucky families that recieves a nice size tax return every year, use it to stock up on a lot of the things you use throughout the year. This coming winter I'm planning on purchasing a beef and a couple of pigs from local farmers for my freezer. Also try to stock up on bulk dry goods such as rice, pinto beans, salt, sugar, etc. etc.

Thanks for the thread.

6. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

That is such a great list. This one is going into the 2006 calendar when I get one. It might be a stretch on the budget next year, but will pay off the following years to be sure.

Not to get too personal here but, we go through 6 rolls of TP per week. They aren't the super large ones though. We get them at the dollar store, $1 for a six-roll pack. I picked up four of them and it lasted us (3 adults, 1 child) exactly one month. Even counting the one ds unrolled into the garbage can! :happy: :eek:

edited: Der, I get it, it's just stocking up. I guess my coffee needed more lead this morning. :sleep:

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

How about 10gallons of gasoline to get your grits out of dodge when the (starving) freezing neighbors find out your sitting on a pot of gold??? ;)

8. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Great list and idea!

Thanks,

Alex

9. SquashNut

We have included some sprouting seeds in our pantry. Will make some nice fresh veggies when needed.

10. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

A quick thought. If the times are really nasty then relying on grid electricty for a freezer full of goodies could be iffy .....

And 10 gallons of gas for a generator would be gone in a couple days or so.

A freezer full of meat/goodies sounds good but ......

11. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

That's why you lay in the salt, the lard, vinegar and the ppropane, to salt, dry, can and pot your frozen stuff when the electric goes !!!

12. SquashNut

The one thing I have not been able to preserve without a freezer is broccolli. Any suggestions appreciated. I tryed to dry it and it almost black in color, Is this normal? If not for freezing broccolli I could turn off one of my small freezers.

13. Charleen

How much broccoli do you have in that freezer???!!!! :p

The original post is intended to list what is USUALLY on sale at different times of the year at the Grocery Store. Yes, this will vary from region to region. One MAJOR point to emphasize is to not buy something if your family doesn't eat/like it. Don't waste your money. In time of crisis, there will be enough stress without forcing the kids to eat that 9th can of garbanzo beans. Just buy what you eat/like.

r.h. in okla, I don't know about your store, but my grocery store doesn't sell ammo or fish bait. But there is a Bait vending machine outside on the sidewalk. :p We always have our eyes peeled for 16 ga. shells when we go to flea markets and yard sales. Can't find them around here too much anymore.

14. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

Mine didn't turn black. My suggestion to you would be to rehydrate it in some water and sniff it. If it smells ok, then try it. It may just be that type of brocolli. How did you dry it?

15. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I'm thinking it's not the type of broccoli, however. It may be that you dried it on a metal surface, used too much heat, didn't dry enough before you stored it, or the florets got contaminated somewhere along the line. Don't try it if you have misgivings. I don't want to be responsible for someone getting sick by telling them to try something.

You can use window screens or paper bags spread out on a flat surface to dry them in the sun, or those special little expensive machines. Or you can just use a gas oven with only the pilot light on.

Veggies are dry when they are fragile, and will shatter when struck. After you put the dried veggies in a container, leave the container out for a day or two, stirring the veggies a few times a day to ensure they are totally dry before you seal up the container. A little mold will spoil the whole lot, which might be what happened with yours... so be careful!

16. SquashNut

I dryed the broccolli in a machine.
    If I tryed to stock up from my local grocery I would starve. i have given up on the local store, in fact that is part of the reason we started a pantry. The samll local stores are out too expensive.
    I have found this same list on the mormon food storage web sites. The system seems like a great idea. But it does incourage using bulk food stores and co-op buying to find bargains, not just regular grocery stores. The same web site has what hey call the mormon 4 , which is wheat, oil, sugar and salt. They say you could live on this, But I would hate to try. Also there are extended lists that outline how much canned and/or frozen foods can be added to make life more interesting. worth the read.

17. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I sound like an idiot, but once you buy an item, do you begin to use it or keep stocking till you have everything bought and therefore a years worth of items stocked up? Or do you start using your stock of item # 1 and so on as you shop and then once 52 weeks are up you just start over? Make sense? I am new to this stocking up stuff :)

18. SquashNut

You use it. the idea is to use it or loose it.
    Lets say you find some thing you use all the time on sale buy more than you can use and rotate your stock. I have bought a case of speggetti sause, we use one can a week. So I probably could have bought 4 cases for a years supply. We will start using them right away though and add more before the first ones are used up. I;ll mark them with the date purchsed so I can use up all of the oldest ones first.

19. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

"You use it. the idea is to use it or loose it.
    Lets say you find some thing you use all the time on sale buy more than you can use and rotate your stock. I have bought a case of speggetti sause, we use one can a week. So I probably could have bought 4 cases for a years supply. We will start using them right away though and add more before the first ones are used up. I;ll mark them with the date purchsed so I can use up all of the oldest ones first."

Thanks, thats what I thought, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the point. :)

20. Charleen

I'm bumping this up. I originally posted this in Jan 2005 and thought it might be timely to review it again. Obviously, these shopping trends are not set in stone, but it may be a good guideline for some to follow.