Stocking up on Toilet paper & Matches

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Charleen, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I read so much about people stocking up on food, but I don't always see toilet paper on the list of supplies. This is something that I DO NOT want to run out of.
    I buy TP cases when it's on sale, we're not too fussy with brand/roll size. I have noticed that stores mostly carry white only now. We have a septic tank, but have been free of problems with it, as long as it's regularly pumped out.

We have an area under the staircase where the TP can be stored, so it's really not in the way. I think there's 2 cases there right now.

Another thing I have a habit of stocking up on is matches. I prefer "Strike Anywhere" matches, but the "strike on box" is handy to keep by the stove. I don't really know why I buy them alot, too often really, but there's probably 20 boxes or more stocked up here. Anyone know the best way to keep these? Possibly in a tin can? Glass jar?

2. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

We are definitely stocked up on TP. I KNOW that TP is a fairly recent invention, lol, but I like it and don't want to run out. Of course we will, eventually, in a SHTF scenario, and when that happens we will find alternatives, but I'd like to delay the inevitable as long as possible.

We are also stocked up on matches, and DH just asked if we should order a couple more cases of the strike anywhere matches, to have extra on hand if needed for bartering, etc.

3. skeetshooter

skeetshooter Well-Known Member

Your post made me giggle a bit. A guy buddy of mine stopped in to look at my reloading equipment. He walks past The Supply of TP, stop dead in his tracks and says, "What is it with you women and toilet paper?!?" Corn cob won't flush buddy.

4. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Yup, toilet paper a necessary stock-up item here. Matches too - keep them in quart and gallon canning jars; gallon jars hold scads of them and are cheap at Walmart at end of canning season when they need the room for Christmas items. I also stock up on lots of candles; never can get enough. Spend $5 week exclusively on deodorant, burn creme, vaseline, asprin and medicated powder. But my candle collections is mighty vast; used to buy those 4 emergency candle packs they had in Walmart for $3.99. Don't carry them now since we're a Super Walmart now. Lots of things they used to carry before they don't now. I haunt Dollar General a lot.

5. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

Just make sure you store your matches where critters can't get to them. I've heard that mice can chew on them and start a fire. Don't know if it's true or not but wouldn't want to take a chance.

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

another thing hardly anyone mentions is toothbrushes. i found myself buying big packs of those after 9/11. ya never know!!

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

When I seen the heading on your post I thought you must be planning on going around burning down outhouses on Halloween!!!

8. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

A case of toilet paper makes a pretty good end table until needed. :)

9. texican

texican Well-Known Member

If the SHTF scenario pans out, I'm sure TP on hand *no pun intended* will be the least of you're worries. Having said that, I come from a family that always had several years worth of tp on hand at any one time... I'm a slacker, as I only carry about two years worth....

10. 1/4acre

1/4acre Well-Known Member

.. I've found that Target has the cheapest TP. They put Scott 12 roll pkg.(only kind I buy) on sale for 2 for $10.00. I stock up at that price. :)

11. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Stocking up on the basics and particularly those you need anyhow is just common sense! Even if nothing worse than you lose your job happens!! Learned from our ice storm power outage the worst thing you can run out of is fuel. The second biggest problem was keeping machines running so having alternatives even redunant methods available for things like water and lighting sure make things easy. An adequate supply of spare parts and specialty tools needed to fix things is a nice addition. Fuses for our big geerator ran out quick, I now have a good supply but I want the circuit breaker replacements. Remember to think outside the box for things that you either need or would make things that much easier, not just the basics.

12. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Moisture is the match killer. When I let the matches, of any kind, sit out on a counter they do not last long before they will no longer ignite. Those I keep locked up in glass jars live a LOOOOOOOng time. Years!

Regarding TP, here is an alternative view. Me! I like having all those trees around and was more than shocked at how many trees get flushed down the water closet. I opted for another route, not only to minimize tree death, but also simple economics. That simply was to set up the bathroom with a bidet. No bumwad needed, just wash yourself.

Neater and cleaner and a whole lot less expense and ecologically satisfying, too.

bearkiller

13. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

They have the 4 pack emergency candles in the dollar store here. We stock up on those, lamp oil, strike any where matches, tp, toothbrushes (8 in a pack at dollar store), soap, homemade or otherwise, medicated powder and keep the first aid kit stocked.

14. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep a stock of candles also but I buy them at yard sales and thrift stores. Last week I got a shoebox compleatly full of assorted sizes of candles at a yard sale for 50 cents.

15. Charleen

Okay, I have a mental picture here, but I think it needs some clarifying. I know what a bidet is but I must ask..... How do you dry off? Or are there bidets with forced hot air too?

16. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

We have a Food for Less store here with a full aisle of $1 items - poweder, vitamins, lotions, first aide items, etc. They have 24 roll packs of tp for $5. I sure wish OUR dollar general store had those 4 pks. emergency candles. Maybe we aren't thinking about the same thing - in separate glass containers, tall. Like I said Wally World did have them but no more. Even snooped around in other Walmarts out of town and couldn't find them. I'm envious!!

17. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Charleen, I am growing plenty of loblolly pines to be converted into tp. These trees are grown specifically for the purpose and would not otherwise get planted. Realize that no old growth will die for the need! Without your using tp you could be jeopardizing the family income. You don't want that on your conscience do you? :D

18. Charleen

So, what part of the Loblolly pine are you using? Cones, needles, bark?
    I never thought about having that pine-fresh scent! What a bonus! :D

19. SpaceCadet12364

SpaceCadet12364 Well-Known Member

south central KY 75 miles SSE of Louisville
    An old girl scout camping trick with those wooden matches is to waterproof them with a quick dip of the end of the match into clear nail polish. The polish seals the sulfur and helps keep them from getting damp and not useable. It would take a while to do a good supply like this, but it does work.

Something to do when you (or enlist the kids to do) when you get a bit of time...just grab a bottle of cheap clear polish and a box of matches. A block of florists foam or something of the like to stick the other end into while the dipped tip drys. :happy:

20. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Well, if the TP runs out rags are fine.

However, one can never have too many matches, toothbrushes, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, bandages, etc., on hand