stocking up for pets.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SquashNut, Dec 5, 2005.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Ok if the very worst happened, and you needed to store food for a year for a dog. What human food would you store? I don't see the bags of dog storing all that well. So I was thinking bags of brown rice , canned vegetables and fish would be a better diet for pet food storage. Would wheat or soy beans be a good pet food?
    My thinking is I would rather share the same types of food with my dog than to end up eating his bagged dog food. You can laugh if you want I am serious.
    Any help on this appreciated.

2. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I don't know that the diet you mention would provide sufficent protein. I think I might supplement some protein powder along with it to bring the numbers up (for the dog, not you).

donsgal

3. SquashNut

Do dogs have a problem with soy?

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

Isn't that what the neighbors are for?

haha j/k! don't get huffy lol

5. SquashNut

That's bad, very bad!!

6. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

I don't think dogs can ingest soy too well (gas). Sorry no other ideas but I'm curious what others may add.
    Hunting scraps?

7. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I can tell you the less grains you feed dogs the better. Thats why the "cheap" dog foods list corn or some corn product as the first ingredient.

8. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

When I get a bag of dog or cat food, I put it into 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids. A 25 lb bag will last several months. If I wanted to store a year's supply, I would put an oxygen absorber packet in each bucket.

:cowboy:

9. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

We give the dogs canned tuna and rice when we run out of their food. You can also put chicken/beef/etc. broth over rice in a pinch, to fill their stomachs and give them some protein/nutrients. Boullion cubes are esp. easy to store. Many humans have survived on the rice and broth diet over the years--not ideal, but it would suffice. We use tuna because one of the dogs has a sensitive stomach (can't take a lot of fat), but I imagine you could just stock up on the cheapest canned meat you'd be willing to eat. Fresh or frozen meat/bones would be good too, but canned obviously keeps best. Throwing canned veggies in there would be good sometimes too, and they're even cheaper, usually. And you can supplement their diet by giving them your leftovers--in rough times, I've given mine nuts, stale bread/crackers/cereal, pasta, veg. oil, and yes, even soy powder/milk over rice. Maybe it disagreed with them a little, but they were more than happy to eat it, and they never went hungry.

You don't need need to be too fussy--I came home yesterday to find one of my dogs surrounded by chewed-up tin foil and a half-eaten piece of notebook paper. She's not too good for Spam 'n rice :)