Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stocking thread got me to thinking........stockings for the little ones are easy to fill but my "kids" are now 25 - 31 and of course there'2 Dad and Gramma too. The only stocking stuffers I have so far are lottery tickets and chap stick..... any ideas?

·
Xander's Mom
584 Posts
Are any of them interested in art? My Mom used to put small tubes of paint and paint brushes in my brothers stocking. Any sewers or knitters? Yarn and knitting or crochet needles, thread and some fat quarters. For cooks some nice wooden spoons, or those nifty high temp safe rubber spatulas.

My husband and I tend to put paperback books and cd's in each others stockings. A nice book mark, sometimes homemade, goes well with the book.

New head phones or ear buds if they use an ipod. Gift cards for iTunes. Sudoku or crossword puzzle books.

Oh , and definitely the silly putty and a slinky if you have stairs!

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
One year I got desperate and cruised the aisles of the drugstore -- the kids (and husband!) got toothbrushes, combs, and all kinds of little packages of all sorts of personal care products. It was a hit, and I still do it to some degree.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Stationary with stamps, some exquisite chocolates ("adult" chocolate like Dove and Godiva), gift cards in fanciful packaging...hmmm, this is a good question. My DS19 will be getting the same stuff in his stocking as the rest of the kids--clementines, nuts, chocolates, candy and a few other trinkets :p

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Oranges,tangerines,red apples, and nuts in the shells always make me think of what we got in our socks as kids.And candy canes.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
One year I got desperate and cruised the aisles of the drugstore -- the kids (and husband!) got toothbrushes, combs, and all kinds of little packages of all sorts of personal care products. It was a hit, and I still do it to some degree.
My husband did this and I loved it. We quit doing stockings, but I sure loved it when we did do it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Their favorite childhood candies, a goodie bag of their favorite cookies and copies of the recipes, candy canes, copy photos of Christmas's past, or make a cd of their favorite childhood songs.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
We always had an orange and an apple in our stockings growing up. I can't see why you couldnt put those in too for grown up kids.

How about a Dunkin Donuts coupon book? If you have a Dunkin Donuts that is.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Everyone has pretty much covered what I put in my kids' stockings (ages 25 and 27). I order lots of freebies...cologne samples, etc. and put those in their stockings, plus I always have to include a large candy cane and Nerds candy because they always got those when they were kids.

Some of the things they'll be getting this year are humorous fridge magnets, sports troll dolls (my SIL is a huge Cowboys fan...can't wait for him to pull out his Cowboys troll), toothbrushes (a tradition), etc.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
No adult stockings this year at our house. With 14 adults and 6 little ones, it was just getting to be too much. They are all getting nice presents. If they want stockings, they will have to do them in their own families.

·
Registered
307 Posts
We (ages 26-37) still get candy bars! We like the tradition. Whoever gets to the stockings first sometimes pokes around and makes sure they get a candy bar they like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like to add big packs of chewing gum, usually .79 cents or less at Walmart. Also, I usually make a trip to my local Dollar Tree and pick up some little things that people tend to not buy for themselves. For example, they almost always have the inflatable bath pillows that are shell shaped and will suction to a tub...for a buck, you can't beat that! Also I throw in hairbrushes or barrettes for the girls...some tights too. The boys get disposable razors and a comb. A lot of times I can find nice dress socks there for a dollar too...so they get tossed in as well.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Chocolate is a must - and lots of it! Small packets of gourmet cocoa, coffee, cappucino; a box of special Christmas-only tea; pocket calendars; a bar of handmade soap; White Castle gift cards; small hand tools, sewing/crafting/knitting notions; memory cards & jump drives (now that they are cheaper!); camera film; small things related to their hobby; car wash tokens and a tangerine & candy cane.

Lots of good ideas in the other posts!

·
Registered
137 Posts
compass, windproof lighters, waterproof matches, emergency rain poncho's, swiss army knife, you know like survival kind of things. I did that for my son one year and put it in a camo backpack, that we still have to this day- he loved it. Light sticks, hand warmers, wool socks.

B Adams

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
DH and his grocery coupon craziness always keeps a good supply of adult stocking stuffers, such as dental products, lighters, ink pens, markers, shower gels, shampoo, etc. I have a storage closet full of the stuff and at Christmas, or even a birthday, I just go shopping in the closet. To make the gift more personal, I purchase a personalized stocking or basket liner with the receipient's name on it and then fill with the goodies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts