Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a flat bed trailer that I'd like to build a slide in stock rack of some sort. Maybe out of cattle panels. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
I have a flat bed trailer that I'd like to build a slide in stock rack of some sort. Maybe out of cattle panels. Any ideas?
.............You're going to need some steel vertical posts like 2"x2"x1/4" square tubing that will slide down into stake pockets welded to the outside edge of the frame . They will hold up the cattle panels that you install . Then you'll need some kind of steel cross members to connect each pair of vertical posts at their top . You can cut short pieces of 1" pipe and weld them to the 2x2 tubing and use 3/4" rod to slide down into the 1" pipe to hold them together . Then you'll need to build a gate of sufficient strength to sustain the many kicks of cows and bulls can deliver when they're in a bad mood .
..............Assembly and disassembly will be a real pain in the Butt ! Then you'll wish you had invested in a cattle trailer from the get go . , fordy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
If you're going to modify a trailer, and take it on the road, you have to update the title, weight rating with the DOT in your state, it will need inspected etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't trust cattle panel to keep animals safe during a road trip.... what kind are you hauling? Cattle will be pretty rough on that... we have a stock trailer and when you put 6 animals in there, there is a lot of pushing and sometimes kicking...

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I built a small stock trailer for hauling sheep using cattle panels. I bolted a plywood face on, and using eye bolts and carabiners attached cattle panels to the plywood. I used U bolts to fasten the panels to the trailer base, and to attach the roof panels to the sides. I torched the back panel into a looped hinge attached to the roof. I used a cheap tarp to cover half the roof and sides for sun/rain protection.

Worked fine from here to Nebraska and back. Make sure you have the tires balanced, most trailer tires aren't.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,912 Posts
You can buy a used 2 horse trailer pretty cheap. They have fallen out of favor for slant-loads and the ones with living quarters. Take out the center divider panel and there you go. Then you have something you KNOW is strong and sturdy enough for the job.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Think slide in racks like used to be commonly used in pick ups and grain trucks before stock trailers became common.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts