Stock Tank De-Icer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by nehimama, Dec 7, 2006.

1. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

For the last week or so, it's been frigid here. I've been using a stock tank de-icer for the goats' water (two pens). A couple of years back I invested in a few of the really sturdy, well-made, GOOD, sinking de-icers. When I raised mini donkeys, they drank out of the tanks, no problem.

The GOATS, however, REFUSE to drink out of the tanks with the de-icers in them. I don't know if they think there is a monster in their water, or they've been getting shocks, or what! I've been carrying buckets of warm water out to the two pens. Several times a day.

Then I got an *idea*. I hated to see the tank de-icers go to waste, so I put a couple of buckets in each pen WITHOUT de-icers, then dumped in the water from the de-iced tank. Refill the tank with de-icer in it, (running water is available at both pens), and it's drinking temp by the time the goats need/want more water. No more lugging buckets of warm water from the house!

I guess I'm basically lazy, and hate to do all that lugging - :p

Hope this helps someone.

NeHi

2. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Aren't goats funny? Mine took the de-icer out of the water tank.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I got the floating deicers for my tanks. I then zip tied a peice of fence to the top and threaded the de-icer cord thorugh, then through a hole in the wall. if mine were to knock it out, our barn would burn down!

I don't know what to tell you about them not drinking, though. If it were me, I'd more or less give them no other option; I dont know of a goat so stubborn as to not drink out of something if need be. Or maybe you could just put the bucket next to thier tank, and slowly switch over to getting them thier bucket every other day or even longer in between, wich will more or less wean them off of the bucket but not kill them from dehydration, lol.

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

My goats won't go near the de-icer either. I know it doesn't shock them because the same tank is accessed by horses and sheep. They don't care - just the goats. I finally pulled the tank halfway through the fence and put the de-icer on the side outside their paddock. Out of sight, out of mind.

5. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Depending on the size of your goats, buy heated buckets instead. My bucklings have a 2.5 gal bucket, my doe group (nigies and minis) have 2 5 gal buckets. These work great and suck a LOT less energy than tank deicers! We are in Northern Wisconsin and the buckets never freeze and it is only 200 watts for a bucket vs. 1500 watts for a deicer!

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Do you have a website with pix of the heated buckets so I know what to purchase?

I tried to use one of those water cooler type dog watering dishes. Thought it would save steps and also keep the water off the floor. But whenever it "GLURPLEGLURPLED" to refill the dogs were terrified.

So I eventually gave it away.

7. mamakl

mamakl Active Member

My husband made me a "heated bucket" for our goats and it kept the water from freezing even during the bitter cold weather we had last week. All he did was wrap one of their water buckets (a plain plastic 5 gal. bucket) with heat tape, then cut some old carpet the right size to fit around the bucket and duct taped it in place (to the heat tape is completely hidden). The cord for the heat tape comes out through the seam in the carpet, and then immediately out of their stall through the crack around the stall door. Unless they dump the bucket over they can't get to the cord. I keep the bucket plugged in, and... like a miracle... no more hauling buckets of hot water from the house!

8. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Oh, Mamakl, I LIKE the heat tape idea very much! Also DBarJ's comment that the heated buckets use much less wattage. I knew the folks here could help me find the most efficient, most labor-saving and money-saving solutions. Thanks, all ! ! !

NeHi