Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having an issue with skunks this winter. We have trapped far more skunks so far this year than any time in the past. It seems almost nightly that my dogs are encountering and getting sprayed by skunks. We have never had such an issue here. I blame it on the warmer winter here in central Texas. Does anyone have any tips or trick or products that keep skunks away? I am desperate! I hate the smell and I feel like I take it with me everywhere I go. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Apparently, skunks don't like light, so possibly you can light-up your problem areas at night and see if helps move them along.

I absolutely hate being woken in the middle of the night to the strong odour of a skunk! Even just the scent wafting into the house seems as though a skunk spraying inside, so I find washing the floors in the morning helps kill any residual scent that migrated into the home throughout the night.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The only thing I have found here when I had a problem this summer was to remove all food sources, that was hard to do with a garden, chickens, fruit trees and bird feeders but finally they moved on to greener pastures.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I don't see any skunks in the winter BUT as soon as spring arrives, so do they. My lab got skunked twice last year (You'd THINK she'd figure it out that black and white is a bad combination!!). My vet sells a product called Skunk Off. It works great!
Had a young one fall into the window well of the basement last spring. Had to put a tree branch in there so it would climb out. Fun times!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same exact issue about 6 months or so ago with a place I was living at. It was indeed extremely hard with a garden and poultry! Absolutely terrible! I think I caught one every night for a month straight, then a minimum of one every other night here and there. Honestly, we tried everything, motion lights, chimes, CD strings, scare crow, you name it, they were so rampant and I'm guessing hungry and desperate, they came any way. Sneaky turds they are. Unfortunately, I ended up being trap and trigger happy because of it due to the fact that as I was catching one a night, I was also losing a chicken a night as well! And when it came to my babies or the predators, I chose protecting my flock while they're dumbfounded and sleeping any day! I just took all the skunks and covered them in my compost pile and no smell then, used their skulls for projects and such and the lovely compost for my garden it all worked out in the end. Best of luck to you! I absolutely know what you're going through and it can definitely be one heck of a fight!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't see any skunks in the winter BUT as soon as spring arrives, so do they. My lab got skunked twice last year (You'd THINK she'd figure it out that black and white is a bad combination!!). My vet sells a product called Skunk Off. It works great!
Had a young one fall into the window well of the basement last spring. Had to put a tree branch in there so it would climb out. Fun times!
Skunk off is a fantastic product and I can agree that it really does work!!! (It also works well to remove the musky odors from pet ferrets too from what I understand)

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
Ferrets and skunks are in the same family so it makes sense the product would work on both.

Where can you get Skunk Off? Hubby got sprayed a couple years ago and we couldn't find anything called that. I ended up making a paste of peroxide, lemon Dawn dish soap and baking soda. It worked on him but we had to throw away his shoes and wallet.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ferrets and skunks are in the same family so it makes sense the product would work on both.

Where can you get Skunk Off? Hubby got sprayed a couple years ago and we couldn't find anything called that. I ended up making a paste of peroxide, lemon Dawn dish soap and baking soda. It worked on him but we had to throw away his shoes and wallet.
If your local vet doesn't carry it, you can get it on Amazon.

·
Registered
489 Posts
All the above is good advise... Except getting the Great Horned Owls..... If you have chickens or any kind of domestic fowl, you do not want owls around... Ask how we know that...

The best solution we have found is to live trap... Use one of the new dark enclosed skunk specialty traps, or a standard live trap will work. My best luck has been to bait with cheap, wet cat food.

When using a standard wire mesh live trap, hold a dark sheet or light blanket in front of you over head high. Cut a small hole at eye level so you can see where you are going. Quietly, slowly walk up to the trap, drape the sheet over the trap covering it completely. Lift the trap by the handle through the small hole in the sheet... Tie a short rope on the handle, and "float test" the trap, sheet, animal in water deep enough to cover for a minimum of about 15 minutes.. This is the best way I have found to minimize odor release.

·
Registered
320 Posts
All the above is good advise... Except getting the Great Horned Owls..... If you have chickens or any kind of domestic fowl, you do not want owls around... Ask how we know that...

The best solution we have found is to live trap... Use one of the new dark enclosed skunk specialty traps, or a standard live trap will work. My best luck has been to bait with cheap, wet cat food.

When using a standard wire mesh live trap, hold a dark sheet or light blanket in front of you over head high. Cut a small hole at eye level so you can see where you are going. Quietly, slowly walk up to the trap, drape the sheet over the trap covering it completely. Lift the trap by the handle through the small hole in the sheet... Tie a short rope on the handle, and "float test" the trap, sheet, animal in water deep enough to cover for a minimum of about 15 minutes.. This is the best way I have found to minimize odor release.
I catch skunks in my live trap often, when releasing them I have never had one spray me they just waddle away.

I don't think I could drown an animal, that is just cruel. I would rather shoot them if I could not relocate them and put up with a bit of smell.

·
Premium Member
20,451 Posts
I sprayed a skunk sprayed dog with Febreze while waiting for DH to get home with supplies.
It was actually working but we went ahead and used the rest of the stuff.

·
Premium Member
20,451 Posts
I sprayed a skunk sprayed dog with Febreze while waiting for DH to get home with supplies.
It was actually working but we went ahead and used the rest of the stuff.
my skunk story:

About 7-8 years ago we were staying in a very upscale and charming vacation cottage community in Laguna Beach. We had sweet-talked the owner into letting us bring Archie, our Border Terrier with us on the premise that he was so well behaved and clean.

One late evening we were watching TV with the door open to catch the night breeze when Archie went streaking outside barking up a storm. Seconds later he came barreling into the cottage in a panic. It took a few seconds for the smell to hit. He'd taken a full shot right in the face from a skunk.

After we locked him on the enclosed outside patio, and phoned a vet to find out what we needed to deodorize him, my husband found an all night grocery store and headed out. Not knowing which of the 3 remedies the vet gave us worked best, he got ingredients for all of them and a 6 pack of beer to fortify us for the ordeal ahead.

We used the Dishwashing liquid/peroxide method, followed by the vinegar douche method, followed by the tomato juice method. I asked why he had gotten a POUND sized jar of Vaseline (it was just to protect the dog's eyes. after all) but he thought the bigger the better.

Anyway, something worked and Archie was soon free of eau de skunk. We went to bed wearily.

The next morning I heard noises on the patio and went out to investigate. It was a meter reader and he looked at me strangely. After he left and I went back outside, I realized why. All over the patio were empty Masengill douche bottles, beer cans, tomato juice stained towels and this HUMONGOUS jar of Vaseline...lid off, with one finger scoop out of it.

Pretty weird stuff even by california standards. I can only imagine what that meter reader thought went on that night. :p

But no smell. The cottage owners never knew what happened.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Before we found "Skunk Off" we had a scottie dog that took a direct hit from a skunk right in the face. We tried everything you can think of. We thought it was working well until summer hit... Every time his coat got hot in the sun, he'd stink all over again! The second time he got sprayed, skunk off took care of it in just one washing! We now keep a bottle at home and one in our camper at all times!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I catch skunks in my live trap often, when releasing them I have never had one spray me they just waddle away.

I don't think I could drown an animal, that is just cruel. I would rather shoot them if I could not relocate them and put up with a bit of smell.
>>>>>>>>>
You can relocate if you wish.. Like you said, this procedure may or may not have consequences you don't like.. It seems from many peoples experience you have been lucky so far.

Problem is, relocating is moving a problem animal to be someone else new problem... And when they relocate to your neighborhood, they are bringing you a new problem animal.. Many people don't see the pattern there..
>>>>
A problem we have here, is they will live trap problem bears in town... Then release them in this area.. The thinking that with the lakes, farms, crown land (forest) and all a good place for them. The issue is bears being bears, once they learn a bad behavior that pays off for them, they don't forget, and you CAN NOT get them to forget. So a problem for one person has now become someone else new problem. So it ends up falling on the local farmer, livestock grower, land owner to "take care of business" dealing with a trap weary bear, also more weary of being seen by people, but not weary enough to leave. You see how one issue can compound another.. This applies for many species.... I'm told the most effective management method is the "3-S" system.. Too bad, but it is what it is in the bush..
>>>>>

Last time I had a dog that took a skunk hit.. I used dog shampoo and tomato juice to good results.

·
Super Moderator
9,591 Posts
move the traps out further , any set that would make a good K9 set makes a skunk catcher

keep an active line going and dispatch them all

fishy bait also good for skunk if there is a bait shop ask him to freeze you all the dead minnows the skim form the tanks and then you drop a few frozen minnows down a dirt hole and let the stink begin

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
I once caught a skunk with catnip bait. I caught this particular one a few times afterward. It really likes chicken bones. I had to stop trying to get raccoons that summer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts