Stinky Mulch

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Randy Dandy, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

Could someone please tell me what good that stinky black hardwood mulch does for a tree ?
    Thanks

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Mulch is used to conserve moisture, prevent unwanted plant growth, and to even out sudden changes in temperatures. Those are a few of the reasons that mulch is used.

As to stinky, black, hardwood mulch---haven't a clue what you are talking about, nor where it came from? Is this something that you purchased? Is it rotten rather than composting naturally from too much moisture? Sorry, but your post is kind of vague as to WHAT hardwood mulch and what variety of wood, i.e. source from where it came.

3. Randy Dandy

Thanks Windy.
    This is not something that I purchased. Its something that Ive seen almost all commercial landscapers use. Ive heard that its a hardwood mulch...sorry thats all I know about the ingredients. I do know that when I have walked next to it directly after being applied to the base of a tree, shrub, or flowers, it has a very strong (stinky) smell to it. Sorry I cant tell you much more than that.
    I do thank you for telling me the purposes of mulch though. I wondered if it was to keep the weeds from growing up around where ever it was applied.
    Thanks, Randy

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I think you are talking about painted wood chips....and watch out, not all are hardwood. Stick with real cedar mulch, or chip your own....especially if you have a shallow well.

5. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

I know what you're talking about - it is a hardwood mulch. You're also talking about the rings of mulch put around the bases of trees, I presume? Little trees can benefit from ruduced weed competition and retained moisture, but adult trees, it's so they don't have to mow around them. I think they look stupid. And I HATE it when they PILE mulch up around the trunk of the tree - one of the best ways to kill a tree that I can think of, besides girdling it with a weed whip or spraying weed killer on the cracks in a parking lot during a drought and killing the already-stressed trees planted in the medians. :rolleyes:

Diana

6. Randy Dandy

Thank you all for the responses.
    Yes Phantomfyre thats the stuff !!! I do like the idea of keeping the weeds down from around the mature trees but will it actually kill it ?
    I was also wondering if it would help keep out any wood boring insects.
    Any other benefits on mature trees ?
    Thanks

7. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

Mulch won't kill the tree as long as you mulch the soil and roots - NOT the trunk. The trouble comes when mulch is piled up against the trunk of the tree - that invites insects and diseases to invade the bark. Mice can also hide in the mulch and chew the bark off the trunk and girdle the tree, which will kill it. As long as you keep the mulch off the trunk - including where the base flares out - you should be fine.

Diana