Homesteading Forum banner

Stinky Dog Help Needed

776 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  deetu 
#1 ·
Molly, our 9 yr old yellow lab stinks. She has stinky butt syndrome. We took her to our vet over a month a go to have her anal glands cleaned out. It's that kind of smell. The vet cleaned them out and they weren't too bad but he did say she had a skin infection. Not sure what since hubby took and he doesn't ask questions. She took some kind of medicine (2 capsules twice a day) for a month and she still stinks.

I feel so bad for her as we can't stand to be near her and she is a house dog. I got to thinking last night that maybe it is a fungal skin problem so I rubbed in mouthwash on her backside. She didn't act liked it burned so I doused her again this morning. I figured it is worth a try. If mouthwash works on toe fungus maybe it will help her skin.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I can take her back to our vet if needed but thought I would try here first.

#2 ·
You say it smells like her anal glands?

My basset (5) had recurrent bouts with her anal glands, until we switched dog food. Right now we're using Natures Recipe. She also had the classis basset skin problems, just starting. Everything cleared right up. Took maybe 3-4 weeks. No cheating & giving scraps! The store ran out, & we bought a small bag of another premium food, in a week, you could smell her again! Never again, we're sticking to this food.

We do plan on switching to raw, but right now isn't the right time! So for now, this food has worked wonders for her!

G
#3 ·
I have a four pound Yorkie that gets Big Dog Stink every once in a while. Usually when he's been outside for a bit or running around. He smells like a 120 pound junkyard dog. I swear that he could knock a buzzard off a dump truck with his stink.

#4 ·
As Mamahen wrote, this type of condition is typically caused by a nutritional deficiency. I don't know what you are feeding, but the dog's food should not contain BHA or BHT, and the first ingredient should be whole meat or fish.

#5 ·
I agree, try changing the food first. (something not gotten from the supermarket) My little one has been smelly lately but I have been letting her cheat on some of her allergy foods. I'm also starting to think that beef bothers her. She ends up smelling really musky.

I would also try giving a probiotic for a week to regulate the intestine, especially since you gave her medication that you don't know what it was for. If it was fungual, it would kill the good bacteria along with the bad.

#7 ·
Nutro is considered a good dog food, but it's possible that your dog needs a different balance of ingredients. You could also supplement with flax seed oil, like a teaspoon on his food, and some garlic.

#8 ·
If your dog is on Nutro, and is still having smell issues, I would suspect a yeast infection. A month of antibiotics won't even touch it but it probably helped the secondary staph infections. Get probiotics...human kind will do....and dose every day. Also, fish oil capsules - You want the source to be as far north as you can afford. (The further north the fish, the more expensive.) I'd start with 2 probiotics and 2 fish oil for a week and then back off to one each daily. Also, a clove of garlic (or the equivilant) daily. It'll take about a month to get any better cause you have to swing the ph balances back the other way and also kill any other secondary infections.

And I hate to say this but...You might consider detoxing for about 2 weeks on raw. The corn in Nutro turns to sugar in the intestine and that will feed a yeast infection...Or any other kind of infection.

#9 ·
pumpkinlady said:
I have been feeding both dogs Nutro dog food for about 5 months. I did consider that it might be the food but not sure. Thanks for the advice.
When did you start noticing the smell? Was it shortly after giving the Nutro? There might be an ingredient in there that bothers him. Like me having stinky armpits after eating garlic (garlic bothers me sometimes) I feed Merrick, Wellness and Natures' Variety (the last two I give as treats)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.