Stinky Buck advice needed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Vindicator (Vinnie) esta muy stinko!! I need to trim feet! Any way to destink meself after working with him? Ideas needed, afore his feet rot off.

2. dap

dap lilsparrow

About the only thing I can think of would be to wear TWO sets of clothes, the top layer being long sleeves and pants, and gloves, and shove the hair under an old hat. That way you can strip before you go in the house without flashing anyone! Let me know how it goes; maybe when Vinnie's done, you can come here and do Hoss's hooves too! :)

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Ha. Does he have a beard? Next year, shave it before he ruts. That's his major stink-holder. Aside from that, um, a surgical mask with one of those little tree air freshners positioned over your nose? I'm no help. I have 3 bucks, they all stink. I just try to get in and out quick.

Ever been to a buck show?

4. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Dial Antibacterial Liquid Soap. It takes any smell off of skin, even buck stink. And yes, it has to be the Dial brand- the original golden colored liquid. Generics don't work as well, nor do the foo-foo scented Dial versions. You will smell like the soap for days, but it sure beats smelling like your buck!

5. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

tone hand soap works and i find although inconvenient, lemon juice helps too.

6. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

This is why we make sure all maintenance on bucks are done BEFORE rut starts. They are pungent aren't they? You could make a baking soda paste for your hands, that sometimes helps. We also have separate barn clothes & gloves just when handling the bucks during breeding season.

Doc is right about the beard too. Watch your boys drink water and see that beard dangle into the bucket. It's contaminating the water and then freezing into icicles, umm...I mean pee-cicles.

7. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

do the beards grow back if you trim them off? and yes they do stink--my 1 1/2 yr old seems to stink worse than my 8 mo old (i have them in sep pens with diff does). next year i think i will try shaving the beard.

8. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

Wash your clothes with about two tablespoons of oil of turpentine. That's the only thing I know of that gets the buck scent out of clothes.

Also, you can add about a teaspoon full to any liquid anti bacterial soap. You don't need a whole lot. In fact, start with a quarter teaspoon and work your way up until you find a mix that works for you.

I get oil of turpentine from the local Fred's discount store. Don't know anywhere else that has it though...

:hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors

9. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

My buck smell usually comes off my hands with a couple hand washings. I wear some leather gloves and my 'goat coat' when working with the boys. The goat coat is just a lost-and-found feather coat that my dad found... So after I'm done with the boys I just throw it in the washer. With my clothes, I've never had a problem with just plain washing it to get the stink out. But I ALWAYS wear my buck gloves when working with my bucks... Even if it's just switching pens, lol... I especially want to wear them when I'm trimming hooves, I can't imagine touching thier front legs with out them. *shudder*

10. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Just bring him in the house for a few days. I guarantee after that you won't smell him at all.

I just drove to Goleta, CA to pick up the most perfect Nigie buck to sire my mini LaMancha herd, spent three days on the road with him nestled cozily in pine shavings in the back of my Rodeo. Somehow, he didn't stink AT ALL after a few hours on the road :D .

11. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, they will grow back...and pretty quickly. :)

12. Blue Oak Ranch

Blue Oak Ranch Well-Known Member

She did! She did! LOL. And DJ even had a full beard, too. I'd thought about clipping it off entirely before...but he looks so good in it, I never had the heart to do it. He would get the muttonchop sideburns trimmed a bit once or twice a year, but hey, a goat needs a goatee. Funny, I don't like my men bearded.... :D

Cheers!

Katherine

13. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

It was DJ's beard that made the sale, Katherine. And the way he sniffs his upper lip . . .

14. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

You just have to learn to like it. :shrug:

Ruth

15. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

WOW, I think if you can't stand the stink, don't get a buck. I might be weird, but I have gotten use to it. I like to walk in the barn with my buck and small him, it just reminds me of how sweet he is. My bucks like to rub all over me and give me lovens. :dance: Thet do sell stuff called either buck off or stink off. It works well. I LOVE MY BUCKS SMELL!!!!!!

16. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Sweet Goats, I feel so much better now. My DH thinks I'm nuts. He can't stand the smell (we have 2 dairy bucks and 2 young Boer bucks). I have no problem with it.

Ruth

17. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Joan, not sure if anyone else mentioned it or not, but how about wearing those throw away white paper coveralls that are used for painting. The coveralls can be purchased at any major home products store or paint stores...Good luck,,,Tennessee John

18. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I must be odd or something. The buck smell doesn't bother me plus I have been sprayed by the buck also when was taking a doe in the pen to get her bred. Buck smell no biggie for me. Odd one I guess. LOL.

19. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Thank Heavens, I thought everyone was going to think I was crazy. It wouldn't be the first time.
    Love those stinky bucks.

20. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Brilliant! I don't mind the stink but my hubbie FaREAKS out! I'm going to go in this weekend if it ain't rainin'