stillborn

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by GeorgeK, Feb 20, 2005.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

3 stillborn lambs this week. Ewes seem fine (except for upset about the lambs). It's been unusually wet here. I'm wondering about mold?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Moldy feed can transmit Listeria and that can cause abortions. You really should preserve a fetus and get it tested for chlamydia (abortion storm) they may need tetracycline to save the rest. You do need a vet, no two ways about it.

3. GeorgeK

Chlamydia is spread by body fluids, and there've been no importation of any new animals for years, and I don't go to any shows, or transport the animals anywhere, except for the dog (female) to the vet for shots.

Listeria is respiratory and none of the animals are coughing, or have any signs of any illness.

There wasn't much of the carcasses to examine. The pigs got hold of them. The pigs (potbellies) are definitely the bottom of the pecking order. The sheep regularly boss them around and kick the **** out of them if they even accidentally get near a lamb.

The vets here don't seem to know what a sheep is. Years ago when i had only one ram and he got whacked by a burro kick, I took him in to see if his leg was broken and the "large animal vet" said "What kind of animal is that?" The ag extention here hangs up if you have a question about anything except a cow or a horse. About an hour away is a Vet school, and a couple years ago when a pig had I think west nile encephalitis, I offered to give them the pig for a necropsy or whatever they thought would be best, and their response was "it's a pig...shoot it and toss it in the woods."

4. FairviewFarm

FairviewFarm Well-Known Member

From the Sheep Production Handbook, 2002 edition: Listeriosis (Listeria sp., aka Circling Disease). The central nervous system signs seen with this infection generally do NOT accompany abortions . . . Aborting animals usually acquire the infection through the intestine. . . Because the bacteria survive well in the enrionment, abortions are not always associated with silage feeding. Contamination of other feeds or forages may occur following flooding. . . Animals that abort with listeriosis usually have no signs prior to abortion and may give birth to premature, weak or stillborn lambs.

If you're concerned that other ewes may abort, you could start adding Aureomycin 4G crumbles to their ration at the rate of 1 pound per 8-10 head for the duration of lambing season. This will also control other bacteria induced abortions such as Chlamydia.

Also, don't discount another species introducing something into your flock even though you maintain a closed flock. White-tail deer are susceptible and therefore can be carriers to the same diseases as sheep.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've only ever heard of Listeria taking two forms one as an encephilitis and the abortion type, and as said they don't get both at once. Where did you hear it was respritory George?? Chlamydia can also remain subclinical in your flock and flare up. David C Henderson's book also notes it might be carried by flies. The bain of any closed flock is invasion from wildlife or neighboring stock ruining your health status. Have you tried callign Pipestone George? They seem to understand the sheep vet shortage.

6. GeorgeK

In humans Listeria is acquired as an airborne and causes a pneumonia, so I assumed the same was true of sheep, but then they are ruminants, so the dust we breathe is on the hay they eat. Deer aren't a problem since the LGD keeps them out of the pasture. Who or what is pipestone?

7. FairviewFarm

FairviewFarm Well-Known Member

Pipestone Veterinary Supply

A veterinary service and supply company based in SW Minnesota specializing in sheep.

1300 S. Hwy 75
    PO Box 188
    Pipestone, MN 56164

507-825-5687
    800-658-2523 (orders only)

http://www.pipevet.com