Still waiting..... grrrrrr

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, May 18, 2005.

  1. cc-rider

    cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

    Messages:
    2,143
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Location:
    flatlands of Ohio - sigh
    I put an offer on some property. Supposed to have known by 5:00 last night. Realtor finally calls and says that they are "very interested" but have to check out their deeds, etc. and will get back with us.... and that people "around there" are very lackadaisical about time and deadlines. So frustrating! I just want to know if it is mine or not! Sorry for the rant! :(

    Aren't you surprised, though???? In the past few months I've emailed you about all kinds of things that I've found wrong while I was trying to buy land and whether I should pass on it. I've passed on every one because of that. Things such as high-power voltage lines, buried gas tanks, questionable easements, etc. (Thanks for the advice, by the way!)

    This place, I didn't even have to ask you any questions! It is perfect, as far as I can tell. Southern Ohio. 112 acres, all wooded except an 8 acre building site on the top of the highest hill. A road that is drivable all the way up the first hill (to the building site), and cleared walking paths all around the woods. A small creek (that I can't get to! Blackberries are so thick all over!). Saw deer and turkey when I hiked it last week. County water and electric at the road. No zoning. $1K an acre! Whatcha think???

    Chris
     
  2. mama2littleman

    mama2littleman El Paso

    Messages:
    1,969
    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Location:
    Alaska
    I think I'm Jealous!

    I hope it all works out for you. If it makes you feel any better (since misery loves company) I'm having the same problem here trying to buy a house. I put a bid in on Friday, and the listing agent for the sellers decided to go out of town over the weekend and didn't even give the sellers my bid until Tuesday Morning. SInce the binder period expired in that time fram, I got an urgent phone call asking for an extension on the bid so that the sellers could review it.

    I actually have the sneaking suspicion that the seller's agent is playing games and t this point I'm ready to give it all up and go pitch a tent somewhere.

    Good luck with your real estate endeavors. It sounds like you found a wondrful place.

    Nikki
     

  3. Cyngbaeld

    Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

    Messages:
    28,248
    Joined:
    May 20, 2004
    Location:
    SE Missouri
    Sounds wonderful. I know how frustrating it all is. I've finally decided to rent in the area near my sis in Texas so I can BE THERE to find/buy/set up a place. Long distance just ain't cuttin' it! So we are moving the end of this month.

    I sure hope it all goes thru for you ok. Did you put a deadline on the decision from the sellers?
     
  4. cc-rider

    cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

    Messages:
    2,143
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Location:
    flatlands of Ohio - sigh
    I'm not sure how that works. If they can review other offers, too, that isn't fair...especially if they keep submitting them. If they aren't allowed to review other offers while this one is "on the table", then you are OK.

    Still, it's really frustrating. I hate the waiting game! I'll keep my fingers crossed for BOTH of us!!!
     
  5. TimandPatti

    TimandPatti Texas

    Messages:
    283
    Joined:
    May 28, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you too!
    We have a place for sell and I am keeping everything crossed that it sells soon.

    Good Luck!
     
  6. margo

    margo Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    858
    Joined:
    May 29, 2002
    sounds llike a good place, CC. you say southern Ohio, ya mean further south than the land you looked at just a while back (with the r-o-w ) ?

    just being nosey....hope you hear something today.....Margo
     
  7. cc-rider

    cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

    Messages:
    2,143
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Location:
    flatlands of Ohio - sigh
    Hi Margo!

    Yep, a bit further. It's between Rio Grande and Gallipolis. I could never live in Gallipolis because I can't pronounce it! They all laugh at me when I try.

    Went to a flea market down there. Haven't been to one in years. Such fun. I spent the entire day giggling at the accents. This place was called the French 500. Someone had a spidermonkey and was charging $12 to have your picture taken with the monkey. And someone selling bananas had a sign that said "nanners - 25 cents a pound". :)

    I just love the area and the people. So laid back.

    Except I don't appreciate the "laid back" when I'm waiting to hear if I bought the place!!!! :)

    Cyngbaeld - yes, the deadline to accept was last night at 5:00. They seem to think that it is ok to stretch it. I'm not sure what good a 'legal contract' does!
     
  8. Cyngbaeld

    Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

    Messages:
    28,248
    Joined:
    May 20, 2004
    Location:
    SE Missouri
    Unless you sign a written extension it gives you the chance to back out even if they accept and the deadline has passed. If you really want the land you just are stuck waiting on them.
     
  9. cc-rider

    cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

    Messages:
    2,143
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Location:
    flatlands of Ohio - sigh
    That's the problem... I really want it, so won't back out....and I have to be nice about it.... but I'm really ticked at their lack of timeliness.

    Ah well... this, too, shall pass, huh?? :)
     
  10. redron

    redron Member

    Messages:
    24
    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2004
    Location:
    utah
    Lots of luck. I, too, know how it is to play the waithing game. I hope that you hear from them soon. It sounds like a very good deal too. What is the address so I can make a counter bid. LOL LOL LOL :haha:
    Veronica
     
  11. mama2littleman

    mama2littleman El Paso

    Messages:
    1,969
    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Location:
    Alaska

    CC Rider,

    It looks like your finger crossing worked for me (that and a threat to contact my attorney for failure to perform on the part of the listing agent). I just got off the phone with my broker and she is getting a courier to pick up the ammended sales contract with some of the concessions we wanted. Not a perfect deal, but a fair one for all parties, I can live with that.

    So, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! We are still waiting on purchasing our "dream spread" but I can understand the need to have things go quickly when you finally find the one you are looking for. A quick prayer and good thoughts headed your way.

    Nikki