Still shaking...3 dogs charged us

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Dec 20, 2006.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Well, it's ironic that this happened so soon after the last "dogs trespassing"
    thread...
    Today we were walking on a trail right through the middle of our property.
    I had my 6 month maremma pup on leash, but I was letting her drag it,
    and I was carrying a small dog who just had surgery a few weeks ago.

I didn't see the man and the 3 dogs in the brush until we were about 40 yards away from them. I managed to grab my dog's leash before she spotted them.
    Then the 3 dogs came running over, with the idiot man just standing there calling to his dogs, who are apparently deaf.

The man must be a guest of our neighbor, I've never seen him before or his dogs, but as they were charging at us I kept thinking how much they all look like pit bulls...

There I was with both hands occupied and feeling completely helpless.

Luckily, the dogs didn't fight and he finally got over there and took them away, but so much for my relaxing nature walk today...
    And so much for training my LGD that she's not supposed to allow strange dogs in our fields!
    :grump: :grump: :grump: :grump: :grump: :grump: :grump:

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

LGD????????

3. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

As a property owner you have the right to shoot any animal that attacks you IMO.

SSS.....and never go out without a good sidearm.

4. WhiteChristmas

WhiteChristmas Super Mom and College Kid

and was he on your property? I think I'd be more p od that he was on my land with his dogs than my puppy not acting like an adult lgd.

white

5. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

I'm glad the dogs turned out to be relatively friendly.

The first time I went for a walk with my children on our property, we had three boxers come charging through the woods toward us. I had my oldest lead the three younger ones toward home and picked up the biggest brach I could swing! I was scared half to death.

Thankfully I now "know" the dogs and they are all sweet, but they think that part of the woods belongs to them. I always take our dog with us on walks now too, I figure if anything is out there he will be on them before I can react.

Did you ask the man what he was doing there?

6. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Livestock Guardian Dog

And he probably said, they won't hurt,bother,bite you, huh?

7. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

What did the dogs do? Sounds like they were just running up to say hi in this case, luckily. MY question would be what in the heck was the man doing running his dogs on your property? Did he have an explanation for himself?

8. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

LGD=Livestock Guardian Dog

Minnikin, you were on YOUR property? Did you make the man aware that he was trespassing? Guest or no guest, it's just rude to enter someone else's property without asking permission. Is your property posted? Sounds like it was an honest mistake, and he obviously meant no harm.

As for the pup... you know the dog sees how you react and will learn to react in kind. So, if you were friendly and welcoming, your puppy saw/felt that.

Hopefully you didn't "introduce" your puppy to his dogs. I probably would've chased his unleashed dogs away and told the man why.

You can be firm, yet friendly to the man.. but the pup needs to see YOU not tolerating strange dogs around.

9. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Sorry for making the story so confusing.
    They were on their own property, right at a corner border, when his dogs spotted us and came charging.

I didn't let the dogs "meet and greet", I just kept pulling my pup away from them without forcing her to "retreat". It was hard to do anything with my hands full, though.

I was so scared, the events are kind of a blur. I know he said, "sorry" or something but I couldn't say anything back... no words were coming out other than, "get away!"
    Funny, the man was at one time standing almost right next to me and I don't think I even looked at his face once...

How weird. If I were ever a crime victim...I'd be the cops worst nightmare..

Cop: What'd they look like?
    Me: um, dunno.

Nevertheless, I'm off to buy some pepper spray now...
    It took a few minutes, but I've finally regained my composure and I'm NOT going to let that happen again.

10. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

Shotgun, minnikin1, shotgun.

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Sounds to me like your making a Big To Do over nothing! :rolleyes:

big rockpile

12. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

How do you SSS when the owner is dog owner is standing there? :shrug:

13. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

4 shots? :p

14. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

The dogs did not belong on her property. Whether they are friendly or not isn't the point.

How bout I walk into your house without your permission but I'm friendly? Trust me.. I'm harmless! :p

15. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Heavens! Kill a man as punishment for simple tresspass?
    What do you suggest be the punishment for murder?

16. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Pepper spray is an excellent choice.... the dogs will squaller all the way home. To heck with someone trying to tell you they are harmless or whatever. :flame:

17. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

Pepper spray's okay...bear spray's better, or even a bear banger'll work wonders!

18. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well minnikin made out as if there had been a Dog attack,which there wasn't.the Guy was on his own property,didn't come over until he found that the Dogs were just too excited by seeing someone else out there.He apologized.No harm done.

Like I say a Big To Do Over Nothing! :shrug:

big rockpile

19. markjen2525

markjen2525 New Member

It was explained that the dogs charged her and her pups. No attack was implied, just a scary situation. As a dog owner who has had my dog attacked by strange dogs on my land, I know what went through her mind. I'm a big man and was able to grab the offending mutts and toss them pretty far but I did risk bites and maybe worse...(rabies shots, anyone?) Shooting stray agressive dogs is a choice of many. If you don't want to go armed on your own property, get a good powerful spray bottle and fill it with white vinegar and spray for the eyes. The will run as if scalded :flame:

20. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

Have to agree with the Rock this time. Seems like a lot of excitement without cause. If that scares you what will happen when something serious happens?